POR 15

Jeeper84

Tim, I have another question.... you suggested that I just use POR 15 on everything. Is it ok if I leave my paint on if I apply POR 15? I just want to make sure that I keep the body for a long time while still being able to enjoy my Jeep. If you have AIM, my sn is ItsGusJr.... I'd love to ask you a bunch of Jeep questions. Thanks a lot! -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey,

That's a good questions, I getting set to undercoat my CJ5 with Por-15, but am at bit of a loss if I should strip it or just clean it. When cleaned my frame, I wire-brushed it squeeky clean, but I could not afford the Por 15 at the time. I want to do the frame now, but its got a nice coat of flat black. Can I just paint over that too with the Por 15 as well?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

From thier site, chasis black is a top coat that can be applied over a "primer". They recommend POR15, then chasis black over that as a top coat. If the primer loses adhesion, the top coat can flake off they say.

I have a primed frame, and plan on using just the chasisi black, since I dont feel like taking off all the primer.

Hope this helps. Check out Por's FAQ on thier site as well. Thats where I read it, and thier tech emailed me that answer above.

Jim[addsig]

Yes, POR-15 has to be on the metal for it to work. Blast it to bare metal, use marine clean, rinse, use the metal ready, rinse and apply 3-4 medium/wet coats of POR-15.

You *can* put POR-15 over existing paint, but it's not going to protect the metal. [addsig]

Back