Power Trax lockers ?

RonaldL

Would like opinions on these lockers. They sound like an easy install. Will they work in reverse gear ? durable ? Thanks, Ron

Aussie is a much stronger and affordable version of these. I run them front and rear. And they take a beating. I broke three powertrax lockers. Haven't even wore these out in 2 yrs yet.

Aussie is a much stronger and affordable version of these. I run them front and rear. And they take a beating. I broke three powertrax lockers. Haven't even wore these out in 2 yrs yet.
Great tip! Just read an install into a Dana 44 on a Bronco and it looks like a straight forward job and like you said, Affordable !

Yup. Mines a daily driver and wheeler. Got about 30,000 Kms of abuse on them. No problems. Just a little noise. Which is normal.

If you don't mind the noise Spartans are great and cheap. Both Spartans and Aussies are good lockers and loud, Spartan is louder though, and both are bigger than the POS lockright I have laying in my garage with chipped teeth. I read somewhere the Powertrax was being discontinued but I wouldn't swear on it.

Ron, without a gear change most back yard mechanics can do an locker install since you just need to set the black lash and blue dykem the gears to make sure the teeth engagement pattern.

But if your thinking of changing gear ratio...the D44 in most jeeps is a 15lbs turn torque on the pinion gear after a .06 shimming on the back bearing face after you reach 0.000 face thrust. Your Center line to pinion face cant be off more than .005 or the gears will fail within 12,000 miles. I think the Dim is 3.750 for axle C/L to pinion face +/- grind C/L written on the pinion gear.

Ron, without a gear change most back yard mechanics can do an locker install since you just need to set the black lash and blue dykem the gears to make sure the teeth engagement pattern.

But if your thinking of changing gear ratio...the D44 in most jeeps is a 15lbs turn torque on the pinion gear after a .06 shimming on the back bearing face after you reach 0.000 face thrust. Your Center line to pinion face cant be off more than .005 or the gears will fail within 12,000 miles. I think the Dim is 3.750 for axle C/L to pinion face +/- grind C/L written on the pinion gear.

Thanks tor the info. I am ok with my gear ratio for now. Good thing too ! I don't have the tools or, the skills at this point, to do a good job on a major project.

Back