price quote

raptor_pilot

Alright guys, my step-dad needs your help. He's looking at getting a trail ready jeep. I'm going tomorrow to look at it. What I know now is that it is an '85 CJ-7. The owner claims to have put around $12,000 into it. I washoping you guys could give me a price range. He is asking $5,500 for it. Is this a good price.

I will have more info after i see it tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Mike

sure that would be a good price ....if he really did put 12,000 in it. :?

Do I Have The Tow Package?

That's a hell of a "trail ready Jeep." I would bet something will need to be adjusted, fixed, or changed. Because nobody sells "YOUR" perfect Jeep for $5,500 that they dumped that kind of change into. But I bet it will perfect enough. I would check it out and bring your check book.

It really depends on the condition of the jeep and what all the current owner has done to it, with jeeps there are so many variables that go into resale value. If he dumped 12k systematically into good quality parts installed correctly then its a good price. If he dumped 12k into turning it into a high in the sky wanger-compensator then it not going to be useful for your needs. :wink:

OK. So I just got back from looking at the jeep. It is definitely an '85 CJ-7 like I was told. It is a manual I-6. It is not the "trail ready jeep" i had heard about. The owner claims he put $12,000 into it but I cant find it. Here's what I found on a visual inspection. Unfotunately he wasn't there to ask ?s.

'85 CJ-7
Steel Horse Tube Bumpers front and back
I-6 Manual Trans
Missing gas cap
Leaking fuel line
soundbar
31" Dunlop tires
Rock gaurds on all lights
15" American Racing wheels
APPEARS to have a shackle lift (not sure what size)
Bestop Supertop
approx. 75,000 miles
Half doors with soft upper
Herculined interior
Leather seats

I found small amounts of surface rust on the bumpers and the latches for the hood. It needs a new fuel line, air intake hoseand the front wheels are missing the center caps. It sounds good when it runs. Haven't driven it yet because of the fuel leak. Everything else appears to be stock. I'm trying to talk to him to find out specifics on what he has done. It's not the rig i thought it was going to be but it is stillnice. So, what sounds like a good price? And thanks for all your help, my step-dad really appreciated it.
Mike

offer him(if your dad wants it)4k or let it sit.I live in Chattanooga TN and i see 88 yj's 4" lift and 33's for that much.....some stock with 31" for as low as 3500 its in the local paper
my 2c's

I'd place that as described somewhere near the 3K mark. Maybe he meant he had invested 12k in it including the original purchase price foreward to present :wink:

Also I have been told numerious times that your steel horse products will rust in two weeks in the driest of deserts not even saying what happens to them in rain country.

The big questions here are...
How does the frame look?
The body pan as well(underside since it was hurked)?
Take a good look at the steering knuckles.
Brakes are they in good shape ?

If all that looks ok offer 3 and settle for 3 1/2

I paid 4 grand for mine (84 cj7)...zero rust,new paint,new highback bestop seats,new supertop,new 31" michelins,engine rebuilt 20k ago,new fuel tank and lines,brakes overhauled,new carpet,carb,shocks,polygraphite bushings.....i did have to replace the transmission a month after i got it,but aside from that its been meticulously maintained with receipts to all work....i'd keep looking ;)

(pics here) http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=385253

By the way you describe the Jeep, it is not what you though it would be. If I had calculated the amount of money I had invested (parts I had replaced and mods) into my 93 Grand Am when I sold it, I'd probably say I had invested about $5,000 + the $5,800 I paid for it, so that is by no means fair to calculate when trying to sell it. If this Jeep had an awesome winch , a good suspension lift, larger tires, and other such things, then I'd tell you to go for it, but if you can spot things like leaking fuel lines, no gas cap, missing intake hose!!!??? amd the rest is stock, you best keep looking. You could probably get a good looking YJ for less that $5,500, so be warned that a seller will sometimes include sentimental value into their vehicle.-Al

Thanks alot for all of your posts. You've all been really helpful. I think we're going to say no to this guy unless he will come down. Thanks again.
Mike

Back