pros/cons of Rancho Add-a-leaf 1.5" sus kit

rtoney9

I want to lift my jeep a little bit, but I am on a very tight budget (college student). I saw the add a leaf 1.5" kit by Rancho. it is cheaper $315, but will it hold up. I am thinking about putting that on and 31" BFGs, what is good and bad about this add-a-leaf system.

let me know if there are any other ways to lift my sus. for a reasonably cheap price. (not shackle lift though)[addsig]

Don't buy the kit, all you need for 1.5" is the leaves. You can pick up slightly longer shocks if it bugs you, but you can get by with stock. Just make sure when you buy AAL that they are full length, as the full length springs don't really stiffen the ride like the short ones do. Check with www.rustysoffroad.com , I think he has YJ AALs also.

I used the main and 2nd leaves from a spare set of YJ front springs. Cut the eyes off the main spring and the top two leaves of each pack are your AAL. Gave me about 1.5: of lift without stiffening the ride
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I found a deal here in East Tennessee that may help in your area. We have a leaf spring shop that works on large commercial trucks, Simis Dumps ect.. I ask about a Re-Arch job. He is going to take off the springs rearc to factory specs and add a long leaf and reattach the springs useing new bushing and bolts for $50.00 a wheel. Said it would give me 2 to 2.5" in lift from my now flat springs to the new set up. I will let you know more asap. He said the extra spring leaf will keep the arch in the springs and not cause much difference in the ride. We will see! Tug[addsig]

When my Jeep was a wee 'lil Jeep I had the Rancho add-a-leafs. I can't say that I was entirely happy with the results. In adding the additional leaf, my Jeep rode like crap. I had the RS9000s set on the softest setting too. I think I still suffer back and neck problems from those early days. I really noticed the "dolphin" effect on expansion joints on bridges. Yeeehaaaa! The problem is that we own light, short-wheelbase vehicles and they are negatively affected by stiffer springs. I think add-a-leafs work better on the back end of a pickup where increased load capacity is a benefit. My recommendation is to either look into re-arching your springs, having customs springs made, or looking on Ebay for a deal on a lift. I'm kinda partial to Ebay since I'm an Ebay freak! Either way you go, good luck!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back