Question about installing a Rubicon Express 2" lift.

Digitaljeep

Hi all,

I have a 1999 jeep wrangler rubicon and I am thinking about buying a Rubicon Express 2" lift which uses spaces above the coils and shocks.

However I am worried that this might cause problems with the pinion angle or other things that i am unaware of.

Can i simply install this 2" lift kit and leave everything else as stock or is it too high?

I only use the jeep on the road and occassionaly on dirt tracks so no major off roading.

I hope someone can give me some advice.

Thanks

Digitaljeep

In my experience installing 2" coil spacer lifts, I've only had to do the following additional:
1) Adjust caster all the way out, meaning leaning the top of the front axle back and pushing the bottom forward. done by adjusting cam bolts at the axle end of the lower control arms. Some early TJ's came with adjustable cam bolts, newer ones did not. Available at the dealer. This corrects caster for good handling and corrects pinion angle to prevent vibes.

2) Recenter steering wheel and adjust toe-in.

In my experience installing 2" coil spacer lifts, I've only had to do the following additional:
1) Adjust caster all the way out, meaning leaning the top of the front axle back and pushing the bottom forward. done by adjusting cam bolts at the axle end of the lower control arms. Some early TJ's came with adjustable cam bolts, newer ones did not. Available at the dealer. This corrects caster for good handling and corrects pinion angle to prevent vibes.

2) Recenter steering wheel and adjust toe-in.

Hi

Thanks for the info, would you be able to point me in the direction of some detailed instructions to do these two things? I have no choice but to do the lift myself and want to be sure i know exactly what i am doing before i start.

I live on a very small island and there is no mechanic here.

Thanks again.

You'll be able to do the lift yourself, but you will have to get an alignment once you're done. It's safe to drive the Jeep before the alignment, but I wouldn't want to put too many miles on it.

You'll be able to do the lift yourself, but you will have to get an alignment once you're done. It's safe to drive the Jeep before the alignment, but I wouldn't want to put too many miles on it.

Hi

I know this may sound silly but what is the alignment for? what does it align?

I am almost certian i have nowhere here that will do that without shipping the car to a larger island so maybe i should avoid doing the lift.

The TJ's require an alignment after lift because the increase in spring height increases toe-in and moves the steering wheel off-center.

It's easy to align yourself, just jump right in. Loosen the adjusting collars on the steering linkage and first adjust your toe-in on the tierod. Then point both front tires straight ahead with the steering wheel unlocked. Then lengthen the draglink until the steering wheel is straight again.

For stock height tires I usually go with about 1/4" of toe-in, more with larger tires. Find a common tread block or molding line on the tire so you're measuring from the same place each time.

Don't sweat it, get in there and mess with it and you'll get it. Shadetree alignments are easy. Keep in mind that once you drive it you can always make small adjustments if the steering wheel isn't quite centered.

Hi,

Could anyone point me in the direction of some instructions with pics for adjusting the caster please.

Thanks

Back