Question about leaf springs

jleland

Okay, I was supposed to buy an add a leaf kit for my 91 YJ but money kinda ran short. My question is, would an add a leaf help if my springs are already looking flat? My buddy says that I should just buy a lift kit with new springs. The previous owner had done a shackle lift and after I put a bumper and winch plate on, the front springs really do look almost straight. I need some advice before I waste money on somethin i can't use.

Personally, I would replace springs. This way you know the springs are healthy. I never been a fan of add a leaf

Stock YJ spring are pretty close to flat when new. The add a leaf will give a small lift which is nice, but some people complain of a rougher ride.. I dunno, never bothered me.

The flatter the spring, the better off road performace and on road ride you will have.

the add a leaf is cheaper, but you get what ya pay for... i'm sure it would work... but you might be replacing them in a year or so...

:agree: Flat is good...add-a-leafs are marginal.....save your money for a lift kit. It will provide the same ride as the add-a-leafs (stiffer), what you have now isn't hurting anything, and you'll be better off in the long run. Also, if the shackel lift is more than 1 1/2" or 2" get rid of it when you do the lift.

My leafs were shot also and ended up cracking my frame. To buy new leafs I was looking at $160 each new and then would have had to buy new shocks also @ roughly $100 each. I went through Rough Country (not on ebay) and got a 4" suspension lift for half the total cost to replace stock. Still a rough ride til I added 200 lbs in the ass end. Softened the ride considerably. If you can savage your leafs, Samari owners may buy them from you for its an automatic upgrade for them.

You can make your own add-a-leaf (AAL) very easily and on the cheap.

1) Score a used set of front YJ springs.
2) Cut the spring eyes off and disassemble the spring packs.
3) Take the top 2 leaves from each pack and these are your 4 AAL's
4) install in your stock spring packs the same as you would any AAL

These add about 1.5" of lift, do not make the ride any more harsh, and require no other changes to the suspension or drivetrain. Good option for 1.5" of lift.

These add about 1.5" of lift, do not make the ride any more harsh, and require no other changes to the suspension or drivetrain. Good option for 1.5" of lift.

X2; and the stock YJ springs are almost flat even when new...

^this^ done it many times and using old stock springs only affects the ride slightly compared to AALs.

Keep in mind that the spring leaves are actually carefully designed to provide two effects

1) distribute the stress evenly (hence putting a poorly selected extra leaf may actually concentrate stress)

2) provide for progressive spring rate. Unlike coil springs which have a more or less continuous spring rate (each inch of compression adds an almost equal amount of force), leaf springs can (and usually are) be designed to increase rate as they compress (additional inches of compression add increasing amounts of force). This is why they are often preferred for heavy load bearing, they can be relatively soft at the unloaded height, but stiffen up under load.

i put a cherokee spring in my pacs after cutting off the eyes and a add a leaf. got a full 2 inches out of it and a bit more roughness, but im not into cushy anyway. so its like bounty says, if you want stock ridr do the spring add or if u need lift use the helper spring .( remember helpers springs cuts down on your droop tho too !)

Back