Question about spring over lift.

Craig

I'm thinking about a spring over lift this summer but it all comes down to affording a sye kit and cv driveshaft. Just wondering if I do the lift, is it going to be driveable to the place that is going to do my sye kit and cv driveshaft?....is the driveshaft going to be long enough for me to drive it without damaging anything?....or should I tow it there? I already have about 3 inches of lift in the rear and about 2 1/2 in the front so assuming the spring over gives my 4 inches, that'll be 7 inches total in the rear.[addsig]

If you can tow it I would do that so
you don't take a risk damaging anything....Just my $.02 :-D [addsig]

I am doing an SOA this summer as well... and I have heard that it will give at least 5.5 inches of lift and an average of 6... The only way you can drive it there is to angle the rear pumpkin up towards the transfercase, which means you have to secure it at that angle by welding or some other way. Once you put in the double cardon cv shaft the pumkin can rest at its stock angle, parallel with the jeeps floor. You are better off towing it... maybe the garage will tow it for nothing... sometimes places do that if you are doing alot of work with them.[addsig]

Did a spring over lift on my CJ-7 some time ago... Towing is the better option so you don't risk possibly breaking something. However, you don't have to weld the rear end to ensure it's at the proper angle. If you put the right shims in it between the rear and the springs you'll be good to go.

With mine I did have to get a longer drive shaft. I used one out of a Scout and it worked great. Of course you're going with CV you said so I don't know about that side of things.

I did find that by doing the spring over I ended up with about 5-5.5 inches of lift.

Well, gotta go work on the Scrambler... considering spring over on this one... just haven't decided yet.

Good luck!

--Chris[addsig]

on BBJ.... which by the way has recently been sold... we didn't do the sye... we pointed the pinion and lowered the Tcase... we were going to do the sye, but the owner was activated in the ARMY... you can easily do that... AND... if you go with the sye, you will still want the pinion pointed toward the output shaft... it puts much less stress on the Ujoint and will further eliminate vibration[addsig]

I have to agree with Snitty he is correct...
I would still tow it if you could that is the
safest and best bet.... :-D :-O :-D [addsig]

depending on how much trouble you wanna go to, you could always pull the t-case yourself and take it to have the sye put in. i would think that would probably save you a little $$ in labor too.[addsig]

if you are ambitios enough to remove it... you should be ambitious enough to jump in to do it yourself... but i can totally understand how it would seem intimidating... pulling the case is not that tough though, so if you want to do it that way... its not a bad idea... plus.. that way.. you can get that done at the same time the SOA is taking place... 2 steps in one[addsig]

Just do it, these guys are rigth it isn't hard
that was one of the first mods I did was put
in a SYE Kit ...If you have questions we are
here for you .... :-D [addsig]

you could also remove the rear drive shaft and drive it over to the shop in front wheel drive :-D [addsig]

you could also remove the rear drive shaft and drive it over to the shop in front wheel drive :-D

I wouldn't do that for very far, the transfer case will have no fluid.[addsig]

not if you block the tail end up. to do this ( for quick trips when a u joint busts) i cut the end off a pop bottle and duck-tape it on there. i have also been told by my local off road shop that there is a company who makes plugs for the tail shaft.[addsig]

i've had my spring-over for almost a year and still havent done the sye kit yet. It's not hard, but the rear spring perches need to be welded on.. just angle the rear diff up a little bit and the stock rear driveshaft will work fine... if you wanna see mine in action check...

www.cardomain.com/id/meangreenyj[addsig]

Back