question about SUV's in general...........

WeRd2UrMuDdEr

I know everyone here is probably biased toward the jeep anyway, but i really want a new ride. I've decided that i'd really like an SUV, due to the fact that i can get the best of both worlds (4wd and cargo room for stereo equipment!!)
I've been doing a little research, and so far, the only ones that look good to me are the 4runner, and the grand cherokee. I read on a review of the 4runner(90-95) that its v6 only gets 13mpg, and not sure if thats true. If not, let me know what it actually gets!
As far as the GC goes....... I'm leaning that way a little too, except i just heard from two people that their transmissions are crap, and the rear end is too small :shock:
I haven't done extensive research on this, but i just want some more opinions before i go investing 8,000 dollars :D If you have any other suggestions as far as what kind of SUV i should get, let me know! All advices are welcome :) 8)
-Matt

Welcome! Are you just going to be running the roads or are you going to be getting out into the trails and getting dirty? I have a Surburban and I love it. Big v8 and room for all the stereo equipment you could ever want plus seating for 8. Now it is a 2 wd and still only get 10 mpg but I still love to drive the beast. I can haul a load and pull a big trailer load of stuff with out a thought. Now to me that is a SUV. If I was going the GC route it would have to be a manual transmission cause in my way of seeing things all automatics are crap once you go off raod and why have a jeep if you are not going off road. I see things a little different. Then even at that I would have to go with a short wheel base Jeep or I would go with something a bit bigger and with more confort. You had to ask! heheehhe Tug

I actually think the burban is a LITTLE BIT too big for my needs, and also 10 mpg OUCH! A 5speed GC would be nice, but im sure it will probably be hard to come by :?
I'm still trying to decide if i should go with the I-6 or the V-8 ... The power on the v8 is slightly more, but i've heard the 6 has a lot more torque.
I'll probably MOSTLY be on the road with it, but i'd eventually like to be able to run 35" tires, and run a few trails with it :)

Is that fuel rating for the city or highway on the 4 runner? What do you drive the most, city or highway? Are you planning on taking it off road? If you are going to take it off road then with my experiences, usually imports are a lot more costly to fix broken parts. I know that 4 runners are excellent vehicles and the v6 in them has plenty of power for towing. They're also very comfortable.....and I'm not just saying this because I work for Toyota. I work with a lot of guys who own the 4 runners and take them off road but theirs are all a few years older and highly modified. The only new Toyota at work that is taken off road would be no comparison. He's put solid axles into it and has dual transfercases and has it sitting on 35's. Never been in a Grand Cherokee and don't know much about them. If you plan on doing any mods to whichever one you buy you might want to look into the price differences for lifts as well.

i had a 3runner before my jeep... TOTAL piece of crap
it was a '92 very nice, but the 3.0 engine sucks and the trans shifted real hard. get one and drop a 350/700r4 in one and it would be a good suv but it isnt w/ the 3.0

I would say neither. I know a lot of people with cherokees and they go all over. Easy to modify and lots of parts. There are several Cherokees in my club and I have seen them go places I didn't think you could get with something like that. I would at least consider it. They are a lot cheeper than what you are looking for. The Cherokee has a solid front axle wich is very desirable for off road. Also the mileage on the 4 runner sucks. I have an s-10 blazer with a vortec 4.3 and I get around 17 highway and 15 city.

the GC is excellent offroad.. i have one and love it.. the I-6 has plenty of power.. i run 30's with stock gearing... get about 19 on the highway, 15 around town (got better with the 28's it came with). It has plenty of balls and can tow a 2000lb trailer without much trouble. the 4speed auto is a good transmission, i prefer stick but have no complaints with it.. also, the full time 4WD is a nice option for pavement driving in bad weather... gives you all wheel drive esentially. i posted a link to a video of GC's offroad is you have any doube.. see the grand cherokee county post.

graewulf said:
the GC is excellent offroad.. i have one and love it.. the I-6 has plenty of power.. i run 30's with stock gearing... get about 19 on the highway, 15 around town (got better with the 28's it came with). It has plenty of balls and can tow a 2000lb trailer without much trouble. the 4speed auto is a good transmission, i prefer stick but have no complaints with it.. also, the full time 4WD is a nice option for pavement driving in bad weather... gives you all wheel drive esentially. i posted a link to a video of GC's offroad is you have any doube.. see the grand cherokee county post.
found another one today. VERY CLEAN. 1993, but i forgot to check what kind of 4wd system it has D'OH!
63,000 miles on it. WOWIE, low mileage. A few spots in the paint that concerned me...... a big chipped spot on the hood that looks like its starting to accumulate rust.... kinda got me worried. Plus the fact that they want 7000 for it. He told me that was under blue book, and i was like hmm, and i started to walk away. He said wait, let me see how far down they'll let me go. I told him i didn't have time and might come back later. :oops: :roll: One thing i didn't like was the white color. hmmmmm yeah, i'll probably pass on that one, but maybe take it for a test drive :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I wonder if they'll let me wheel it :shock:
another question i have is regarding accessories......... Do you know what kind of engine upgrades are available for each engine, mainly "is one engine more readily modified than the other?" I may need some more power :twisted:

GO with the regular CHEROKEE 1994 very reliable and great offroad...........also aftermarket parts are not nearly as high as the GC

my advice would be to look into an XJ (Cherokee... not Grand Cherokee... which are WJ's or ZJ's, depending on the year) as quite a few other people have suggested. i have a 97 cherokee and love it... they are MUCH easier to work on and modify than a grand, and are a good bit cheaper. they also have the same I-6 as the Grand... but are much lighter and therefore perform better. Grand Cherokee's are definitely good too and i have nothing against them, but a cherokee is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck.

graewulf said:
i posted a link to a video of GC's offroad is you have any doube..

If you have any "What"??? Doube? :lol: :wink: 8) Say no to drugs!Hehehehehee

Most aftermarket stuff is cheaper for the XJ, and I love mine! The Grands do great off road too, you'll just end up spending more to modify them.

one major difference between the XJ and the ZJ.. rear coil springs in the ZJ.. gives you a much better ride on & off pavement, and has more flex as a result stock.... I have a friend with an XJ.. he keeps yelling at me to slow down cause he's getting bounced to death, i hardly feel it... and there isnt much of a weight difference between the 2.... not enough to make a difference really. If you do much driving on the highway you'll appreciate th egrand.. i paid 5000 for mine and its a 95....

Well I don't know who told you the Grand has a small rear end. My 2004 has a Dana 44. I bought the V-8 and this thing has a ton of power. I would recommend the GC to anyonw who is looking for a mid size SUV. I drove the 4 Runner and just found it to be an overpriced Rav 4. I am 6'4" and do not like the way the seats are on the floor with your legs extending straight out. Hope this helps.

Todd

Back