Question on early TJs...

Joopin

Super Moderator
I am currently looking for a Wrangler for my brother and I have come across a 97 TJ with a 5spd and 4 cyl. they are asking $2950. This seems a little cheap for how new it is... my brother also heard that a guy he works with had a TJ with tons of problems... the guy said when he buys his next jeep it will be a YJ. Are all early TJs like this? Was Jeep "working the bugs out" for the first couple years? I havn't called on it yet, I just found it tonight... any input would help.

Oh I also found a 98 for 4300 bucks 4.0 with a 5spd... the only thing is it has a wrecked front drivers side fender... Gonna call on both tomorrow, but it would be nice to have a heads up!
Joop

Both of those are cheap.The 98 sounds like the better deal.Just repair or find a new fender.

My brother has a 97' with the 2.5 and 5spd and hasn't had any problems yet. Then again there are lemons everywhere.

od

The only thing ive had to do to my 97 other than maintence is put a new power steering pump on it. But ive only had it a little over a year, and have no clue what the last guy had to do.

For whats its worth, theres my experience

Nathan

I usually recommend staying away from the first model year or the first year of a redesign, but I haven't seen a large amount of problems with the '97. You should be fine considering it's inspected well.

Thanks guys, now we just have to decide on which one to buy, my brother is a cheap skate so he will probably want the 97 but hes gonna get the 4 cyl... He says he doesn't care which engine as long as its a manual transmission. Thanks again.
Joop

I would recommend against the 4cyl. I had a '00 4 cyl TJ and really didnt like it. After drive a 6cyl. I really had wished I went with the larger engine.

Yeah I want him to get a 4.0 too. I never drove one but I would pay extra for the power increase.
Keep it comin guys, I'm gonna give my bro a link to this page so he can read all this.

those are some cheap prices .. hope they turn out ..Check the radiator top seal .. most leak on top where the plastic meets the metal ... thats about $170.... so far no real complaints with mine except for the 4cyl ... I hate that motor...

Back