question on wiring reverse lights

there's really no reason to run ground through a switch, the only switches which are ever grounded are lighted switches, and that ground is simply to run the light on the switch.... and it is always easiest to run all grounds directly to chassis as close as possible while still being able to work with it

did you use a relay setup? or did you run all full draw wires

Whoa, Let's take a step bckwards here:

You DO NOT attach ground to ANY position of the switch! You MUST be using a two position toggle switch w/ center OFF position. Toggle switches with the light in them are NOT going to work in this application.

Which of my two diagrams are you following? In the first one, there are NO ground wires involved whatsoever.

In the second one, the ONLY ground wire involved is to pin #86 of the relay, as the relay's coil MUST have a ground.

Once again, DO NOT ground the switch :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

using XJNick's second diagram would be a much better option than the first option... if you upgrade to a higher load lamp, it will allow for it

now are you trying to have it set up so that you still have the stock backup lights and this would operate only the aux backup lights?

'cause this would be a bit diffrent from what everyone is trying to do now.

I'm using a three way lighted rocker switch. Which I'm finding out won't work with. I'm going to have to use a non lighted rocker switch. Also I'm using the second diagram with the relay. I have a extra wirring harness from Hella.

with a 3 way lighted rocker, it will work with nick's second diagram.... but... the switch will only light up while in reverse, because that is the only time when the contact is made in the relay...

question though... is it a "3 terminal" lighted switch, or a "3 way" lighted switch.... a 3 terminal lighted switch is actually a 2 way switch... the third post is ground for the light in the switch...

does my 94yj dana 35c have limited slip

Snitty is correct, you need to be careful when messing with lighted switches.

A standard lighted toggle switch will have 3 prongs: ground, hot in, and ACC (or switched out). This will NOT work for this application...

If you do find a true lighted 3-way toggle, it will have 4 prongs: ground, hot in, ACC out 1, ACC out 2. These are not very common.

In general it would be a good idea to not use a lighted switch... :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

are there any lighted switches that use a light in series with the circuit.. or even parallel inside the switch? i know it could be possible

Moab Pictures

i was going to try and figure out how to post a drawing of this, but i'll write it instead. hopefully i can write it so you can follow it.

this is so you can still have the stock reverse lights with aftermarket as well.

you need a tripple pole tripple throw switch. i was thinking single pole triple throw before, but i don't think that's right.

-------
t1 0 0 t2
l l
t3 0 0 t4
l l
t5 0 0 t6
-------

say you wanted up to go on with reverse, middle off, down on:

tap into reverse switch to t1

to t5 from either batt (w/fuse), from fuse block always on, acc.,or off with ignition. you could also set it up so the tone would sound if the lights are left on and the jeep is shut off

run a jumper from t2 to t6 then to a relay or right to the lights (ensure the switch can handle the power of the lights) or you can splice t2, t6, to lights.

if you want indicator lights you can use led's. if you use a relay you can either wire them in series before t1 and t5. if you wired directly to the lights you'd have to find some dioeds that could handle the power of the lights. i'm not sure how well that would work.

or one off the output of the switch to ground.

or you could use regular lights. small bulbs and a colored piece of plastic.

you could make this work without the stock lights as well.

Yep another lift question

Wow, it was so much easier when I connected my back up lights. I simply spliced into the exising back up light wires, and ground it on my frame, and that was it. Me lights come on when I put my Jeep in reverse. Since you want to add a (1)On/(2)off/(3)on when in reverse switch, all you have to do is find yourself a switch that allows you to "input" three types of power sources. That is a (1)constant or on when Jeep is on, (2) nothing at all (NO GROUND NEEDED) , and (3) power from the reverse light wires . I decided to go with two back up lights, so I connected (spliced) the left aux into the left OEM back uplight, and the right aux into the OEM back up light. This should work, in my opinion. Let me know if there is anything wrong with this setup because I don't want anybody to mess their electrical system up. My setup has worked for me (without a switch),and I figured that adding a switch would not be that big of a deal. -al

if you are using high output lights, you might draw too much through your reverse light system... and may draw too much through the switch... but... you should be ok if they don't draw too much

Well, I've been okay for a while , so I don't think I should have a problem. The lights are only 55 watt driving lights, so they are not too bad.-al

Back