Ramsey rep 8000e winch? Why is this so cheap?

That may be the same 'Made in China' winch that others like MileMarker market for that price. I'm thinking it has a motor under 2hp, like 1.8hp. The comparable 8K Warn winch has a 4.8hp motor and more line speed, especially under load.

You do get what you pay for, and you may very well get your moneys worth out of this winch. Had I not found the Warn M8274 so cheap, I probably would have went this route and made it work.

Well, I wasn't planning on getting a winch until spring, but the fact that my Jeep is so light, and this thing is rated for 8000lbs, the $399 price tag may force my hand earlier!

I called Quadratec. Made in USA, 4.6 horsepower@12V, and not a refurb. I know what I'm gettin' for Christmas!!! :wink:

1.6 hp or 4.8 . . . . hmmmm what does it actually matter?? Line speed?? Line speed under Load?? Who cares?? it is Deffinantly quicker than a shovel, Axe, Hi-lift. You are Only gonna use it when all else fails right, meaning, someoneone else has tried to recover you with a Pull-strap or a snatch-strap. I figure with a Jeep you can use this and get out of anything you need to UNLESS you are trying to pull yourself up the side of a canyon and you happen to be on a time line. If that were the case you would have sponsorship and wouldn't have to worry about the price.

Quadratec and Ramsey's websites both failed to list the HP of this winch, like they don't want you to know. Maybe they'll sell more that way.

It may work for you, depending on the type of wheelin. I'd say no more than being stuck in the occasional mudhole or moving a fallen tree, but not for trusting it to get you up vertical rock ledges or long hard pulls.

Mobi arc welder

Check out these two sites and compare the specs of this entry level winch with Warn's 8K entry level winch.
Warn M8000 Ramsey Rep8000e

Of note is the pulling power per each wrap of cable on the drum. Very seldom are you pulling on the first wrap, so it's very important. A pull with the Ramsey on it's 4th wrap of cable and you're only pulling at 4800lbs. Warn is 6230lbs, quite a difference. The Warn pulls harder than the Ramsey on the 3rd and 2nd wraps as well.

Compare the spec sheets, talk to those who own each. Use what works for you.

On another note, the Ramsey Rep8000e has a no-load line speed of 15ft. per min. My M8274 is about 73fpm :shock: Makes getting the winch back in and on your way much quicker, and you get to be the winch guy at the same obstacle for everybody on the trail ride. Gotta watch those fingers, though.

there is a big diffrence between the rep8000 and the rep8000e, with the 8000e being a more entry leve winch, and is ALOT better than nothing

I guess the big difference is the motor size, they tell you the 8000 has the 3.8 motor and they won't advertise what puny motor the 8000e has. Most everything else is identical, but for the fairlead. Both have a measley 4800lb. pull on the 4th wrap. But you're right, better than having nothing on the front bumper. I wheel on a budget, so had I not come across my current winch, I'd go the $399 route eventually.

Which leads me to the story of the jeeper that had his 8K winch wired with 12ga. power wire and 2ga. ground, supposedly what somebody told him to do. I was helping him winch a long hard pull when smoke started coming out from under the hood. We quickly popped the hood to see that he had coiled all the excess 12ga. wire and tied the loop to the radiator support. All the insulation had burnt off and was still smoldering. Thank goodness we caught it when we did. Moral, take care of your fellow jeepers and make sure they're fully informed, for everybody's safety.

My old CJ came with a 4000 lb winch. Not something that I would have gone out and bought but you know even a small winch is alot better than no winch at all. Have used it a couple of times now and it does a good job. For the price it is a deal and with a snatch block you will be able to pull right up a rock face if you ever need to at least once. tug

i got a ramsey platnum 9000 but i broke the clutch mechanism :cry: does anyone know where i can get parts for it? i love the winch to death, its gotten me outta mus that came up to my windows and forced me to climb out the back of my jeep, so i dotn want to get rid of it and i dotn have the $$$ to buy another one...

Tug-n-pull said:
My old CJ came with a 4000 lb winch. Not something that I would have gone out and bought but you know even a small winch is alot better than no winch at all. Have used it a couple of times now and it does a good job. For the price it is a deal and with a snatch block you will be able to pull right up a rock face if you ever need to at least once. tug

A snatch block I have - among a large collection of rigging equipment. I was a lineman for 10 years prior to "retiring" (that's what I consider working at verizon compared to doing line work) and I kept all my equipment.

as posted before, this review tells the horsepower (it ain't much - 1.6!):
http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/02december/ramsey_rep8000e.asp

I don't know if I'm going to buy one of those or not, as said, a cheapie winch would be better than none, but I may wait and get a better one down the road. It would be nice to have the power to pull a bigger vehicle out if needed. I'll kick it around a while. Thanks for all the input!

-TC

something to look for: is that 8000lb rolling load, on a grade, or dead lift? this makes a big difference... warn is rated at dead lift, many others are not.... if you are stuck in mud to the hub, it will take about something like 6000-8000lbs of line pull to free your jeep. i would agree that any winch is better than none, but sometimes it is worth spend the extra $$$

I imagine you could contact Ramsey and they would sell you the part (or give it to you if you ask right). I know they have a factory in Tulsa OK. My dad's got a Warn XD8000i on his jeep and it came out of the box with a dented motor cover. They sent him a new motor for no charge, and he kept the original motor (works fine, just cosmetic flaw, but when you pay 800 for a winch you want it to be right. Now we've got an extra motor for our winches (I run the same winch....)

Yeah I've been thinging about getting the Ramsey Rep8000e for my rig. The rockcrawler article seemed to be a good one and they seemed to give it high marks for an enrtry level winch that well be used only when there is no other option. Still would like to talk to someone that has one before I ask Santa to drop one off next month :lol:

I have one bolted on the front of my xj. I couldn't pass up the deal, I got it for $375.00 shipped on sale. But anyway I love it. It does the job. IT may be a little slow but i have never stalled it out and I have never not been able to free myself with it. If you ask me I think it was a good buy on my part. And the way i figure it, my xj is about 3000 pounds i think so i sould be good on the 4800 fourth line deal. Half the time I've got it spooled along way out anyway.

I would say that it is a very good winch for the money and does the job it's supposed to.

Back