Rear Axle choices--Anyone swapped an 8.8 into their Jeep?

Keith__C

I am trying to decide on a replacement axle for the rear of my CJ7 and am deciding between either a Ford 9" or an 8.8. either of the axles will be a huge improvement over the narrow track model 20 in it now. I know lots of people have probably swapped a 9" in but what about the 8.8. It utilizes a higher pinion than the 9" (better driveline angles) and uses about 20% less effort to turn. Would like to hear back from people who have done an 8.8 swap and what you think of it. Thanks.

Have you thought about keeping your M20? People talk that axle down way too much. If you get one pieces and fix up the tubing, they are pretty stout.

If you want wider, they you'll have to replace your front axle, too.

As you probably know, you'll have to weld on new spring perches. I would probably go with the 9 inch because it should have a 5x5.5 pattern instead of the 8.8's 5x4.5.

I wouldn't think the 8.8 would be any improvement in strength of the AMC20, but you would gain some width and rear discs. The 8.8 has a different lug pattern and you'll likely want to install a wider front axle as well.

Scout d44's are a common swap in CJ's, have you considered them?

I have done a 8.8 swap into a jeep Cherokee, nothing major about doing it. We had to Fab a custom diff cover because they didn't make them at the time. We put and ARB into it also.
But you get better strength out of a Ford 9.0 inch, even the owner wanted a 9 inch but resizing it added 395$ to the cost of the axle, so it wasn't an option.

Sorry for the confusion, I guess I should have been a little more clear. The 8.8 is from a fullsize truck and uses the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern not an explorer or a ranger which uses the 5 on 4.5 pattern. I already plan on putting a full width high pinion D44 in the front. (drivetrain will end up all Ford as it will be cheaper/easier for me to use what I already have than to go buy an adpater to mate my T18 to the Dana 18) I already have the 8.8 although an acquaittance owes me a 9" for some work I did for him I just have to go remove it from the truck and bring it home. One of my main concerns would be the driveshaft. I plan on accomplishing a spring over conversion with the axle swap along with a small spring lift for an overall lift of 6-7"'s (35" tires) The pinion on the 9" sits about 2"'s lower overall than the 8.8 which may or may not play a major factor due to driveline angles in being able to accomplish a fullsize axle swap or not.

How are you going to use a Ford 44 front? They are driver side drop. I would probably go to the 9 inch. You'll have to buy driveshafts anyways, so I don't think the few inches of pinion height will matter.

9" rear or you can run the model 20, granted you'll have to put some cash into it, but I have seen M20 last with 36" tires for years with out breakage when properly equipt. But I would put in a older pass drop waggy 44 and a 9" rear. if your going to keep it under 37-38" tires. if your going over that, think 1 tons

Collin, I had planned on swapping everything, transfercase included. I have a ford NP205 that will put the output the same as the axle. I wasn't too worried about getting new drivelines for length as I was for pinion angle. After some crude measuring i don't think the angles will horrible and I can always use the double cardan type driveshaft if I need to. I'm still at a toss up over which axle but I'm sure time will help me decide.

Sounds like a lot of work. I have to second Johnny's comment.

If I were in your shoes, I would pawn off the 8.8 and 205 to pay for a dana 44 front with a passenger diff.

Back