rear axle seals?

lambo

I have grease built up on the drivers side drum breaks. Is this because of outer seal or inner seal? This is a Dana 35.

lambo said:
I have grease built up on the drivers side drum breaks. Is this because of outer seal or inner seal? This is a Dana 35.

It mite be either one but normal if ur goin to do one u mind as do both inner and outer seal cuz sumtime if u do one then the other goes so do both it will make ur life a lot easier

I don't think there is an inner seal on the 35, the outer axle bearings are lubed with the oil in the differential.
I'd check and make sure it is diff oil and not a leaking brake cylinder. The leaking brake cylinder is a lot more common. Pull back the rubber boot on the brake cylinder near the bottom, carefully, just a corner and see if some brake fluid flows out. If you just crack the boot on the brake cylinder instead of removing it all the way, it is a lot easier to get back on there.
If it is the seal chances are the axle bearings are worn.

What I'm finding in the Haynes manual is that there are seals at the end of the tubes near the hub. And after 1990 they used c clips to hold the axle in. Before 1990 you just pull the axle no need to open diff. Looking at a schematic of the 35 it shows inner and outer seals but after looking at the parts list there are no inner seals after 1989. So I gees I answered my own question... LOL

Back