Rear Shocks

JohnnyO

Putting in new shocks this week. Got the fronts done today, parts store had to order the rears, be in Monday. Didn't see access panels in the floor. Do the rear upper shock bolts just thread into the frame, or what? Is a couple of socket extensions enough to reach them?

I sprayed the bolts with my homemade rust penetrant, a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF that is supposed to be better than Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster. (I read it on the Internet so it must be true. :lol: )

Front install:
I got the fronts off by holding the upper shock body with a strap wrench and undoing the 9/16" bolt on the stem with my BIG socket wrench. Twisted one shock stem off in the bolt though as the shock body started to flatten. What the hell, it's off. Remove old shocks - 1 hour each. Install new shocks - 5 minutes. Someday I'll have to buy a torch.

From what I could tell on their website, the NAPA store brand shocks are really Monroe Sensa Tracs but for half the money. $24 each and AAA members get a 7% discount. Rock on. :beer:

yes the rear shocks have nuts welded on top of the crossmember.broke 2 out of 4 bolts on mine.start soaking the bolts asap and soak them a couple of times a day until you get your parts.slowly work the bolts back and forth until they come out.it is not very easy to get a drill in there to get the broken ones out.

Got on the job tonight. Started on the right rear, first upper bolt came out, then I snapped off the second one. Try the left shock and snapped off the first bolt. I don't think I have a drill bit that will get through it and I don't want to make it worse (been there, done that). I'll take it to my bud's shop and let him deal with it.
A man's got to know his limitations. Thanks for the advice though.

Turns out my bud is going hunting for a week. I guess I'll buy a long drill bit and try it myself. He told me I could re-tap it if need be or maybe put another nut on top of it.

I broke 1 Had to drill and I just used a self tapping bolt from autozone. Its holding good, Just use plenty of antiseize on the bolts when you replace them, Also if you have a welder you can change the upper mounts to exept shocks without the crappy T mount.

i have read that you can use xj rear sway bar brackets to use as a shock mount for the rear.they bolt right in place and eliminate the bar pin on the top of the shock.have not tried this personaly just read about it

I gave up and took it to a little shop near my office that is a notch above blacksmith, but sometimes those are the best places. They fixed a rear suspension issue in my Focus company car that no one else could find.

So far the gas tank is out so they could get to the shock bolts to drill them and the left rear shock is in. The evap line was pretty crusty and broke when they pulled the tank. Lotta rust up in there.

Murphy's Law in full force today.

Back