Rear

Running Target

Yesterday i took my new (and clean) Tj out to the local mud pits and after a hour or so playin in the mud i decided to try one of the fairly large puddles and got my jeep real stuck (the guys who pulled me out said that last weekend a guy in a huge old chevy w/44 boggers stuggled in it) they broke a cheapy tow line trying to get me out and when they busted out the chains, and i hooked around the bumper (by where it bolts into the frame) i still manged to bend my bumper a little bit. I had to replace it any way because this one's got a rusted out section on it (to get it inspected), can anyone recomend a good strong rear bumper?
oh yeah i think i want one with a tire carrier because my tailgate is hard to move with the 32 on the back of it

only problem with jeeper man is i only have three weeks left to get my jeep inspected and "Bumpers are built to order and usually take 3-4 weeks for delivery."

was gonna recommend steve's jeep fab at www.stevesjeepfab.com but checking his web site it seems he doesnt do tire carriers like he used to (you can e-mail him and ask - he and his wife are pretty good at getting back to ya...) i really like the quality of my rear bumper and the price is right on there! just a thought... hope it helps

thanks, i'm gona see what the local shop was to offer if, theres nothin there prob gona get the a to z

If you want strong, see a local welding shop and they can build you a good strong bumper out of U beam steel. Guaranteed not to bend not matter what is pulling you out. My rear bumper is a welding shop custom. Extremely strong. Just a thought.

Went to the 4x4 shop this morning and they only had warn bumpers (he quoted me at like 700 ish) so far A to Z looks the best and i can get soon (Lod/ jeeper back ordered)

pdparker said:
If you want strong, see a local welding shop and they can build you a good strong bumper out of U beam steel. Guaranteed not to bend not matter what is pulling you out. My rear bumper is a welding shop custom. Extremely strong. Just a thought.

U-beam....as in having one side open? Ohhhh.....ok. Really, I suppose if that's what you wanted, I guess. But,ummm....actually, a bumper should be fully enclosed, as in full tube (square or round), so as not to collect mud, water, and salt, which will be the ultimate demise of said bumper.:?

Can anybody post a pic of their tire carrier? I need a good pic because i'm about to fab one for my rear bumper. Getting ready for that lift and since it's free might as well go ahead and start.

I did all the research and I now have a jeeperman on order!!! I research everything b4 i buy and im a cheap ass so, just my opinion.

laterz

pdparker said:

Keep your tire on the stock swing out if you can. At least it hasnt fallen of yet like most after market tire carriers. And parker has the right idea. Some tubular steel works great.

When i was rear ended the offending car's hood hit my spare and bent the tailgate just a little. My tire has bent it down a little more. I'd really like to get the tire off it before it does enough damage i'd have to replace that back tailgate. It's already starting to lean out a little at the top.

I don't have any personal experience with them, but those A to Z bumpers look pretty good. They look like they're built real strong too.

pdparker said:

You mean C-channel? If so, I'd never build a bumper out of that. If you want it functional and be able to have some good tow points on it, I'd always go with something that is boxed in.

And, no bumper is guaranteed not to bend. I guarantee I can bend any bumper. Hahaha.

If you want a bumper that won't be here in time then throw any old cheap thing on to get through inspection while you're waiting for it.

That's my .02

if need be, bolt up a piece of pressure treated 2x6, that will work for the inspection. I would say make your own bumper if you can. a lot of these mail order bumpers are not made as heavy duty as they say that are cause they want to keep the weight down for less money to ship.

Think i might run down to junk yard and grab a cheapy bumper to get through and then go from there, most likley gona get Jeeper man thanks for the help

Back