Rebuild vs Replace

jeremyrbyrd

I am looking for opinons regurading replacing vs rebuilding my 258 inline 6. I have a 1986 CJ7 with a 258 and manual 4 speed. I also need to know any tricks that you guys may know when I am trying to pull this motor and put it back in. This will be the first time I have ever pulled a motor.

Trick #1. Take off the grill. it's 7 bolts and will save you so much time. take the entire drive train out in one piece.

Depending on your budget and time allowed to have the vehicle down, I would swap in a more modern drivetrain, weather it is a 4.3 vortec from a chevy or a mpi 4.0 and AX15 from a newer YJ/TJ, this would be the best route. if this is not in the budget, I would simply rebuild the motor, and while at it, look to junk the T4. swapping in a T5 or AX15 (pre 93 will make life a ot easier) transmission is not that hard, plus you will improve the first gear, and provide over drive and increase fuel economy.

Thanks for the information. when you say entire drivetrain are you including the transfercase? would you get the transfer case rebuilt as well?

Look into upgrading the 258 while you have it open. The more popular upgrade would be 4.0 head swap. Give you good horsepower increase with minimal work. There are alot of write up on that swap on the net.

yup, engine, transmission t case, all in one ig piece. T-case probably won't need a rebuild, but some good maintanence can go a long way. If you do replace the gasket and seals, pretty cheap, $25 maybe. While out, it might be a good time to re-gear it to 4.1 or even just installing a 32 spline output for increased durability.

Back