Removing Rear Bumper

Saiyaman90

So I backed up into a guardrail with my 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo and now there's a small dent in the plastic bumper. I was wondering how do I remove the bumper so that i may pop the dent back out and also see what else I can do? If something like this has happened to anyone else please let me know what I should do. If necessary, let me know if I should post pictures of the damage. Overall I just want to try whatever I can myself before going to the body shop and/or possibly replacing the bumper. Sorry If I seem needy, I just love my Jeep!

Is it plastic bumper cover or a metal bumper. Plastic you can carefully heat with a heat gun and use the handle side of a long pry bar to gently work it out. Just careful not to burn the paint. A steel one a big hammer and smooth surface to hammer it. Down to just carefull not to stretch the metal any more that it has been

Here is the damage. I should also mention that I plan to put the bumper back if I can fix this. Any further suggestions?

Attachments

• 2012-03-01 16.59.59.jpg
    2012-03-01 16.59.59.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 723
  • 2012-03-01 17.00.07.jpg
    2012-03-01 17.00.07.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 627

The rip would have to be plastic welded and the dent you could work out with a heat gun. A body shop would just replace the whole assembly. It's attached all the way around the outside edges. Start at the fender wells and work your way to the fasteners under the hatch.

The rip would have to be plastic welded and the dent you could work out with a heat gun. A body shop would just replace the whole assembly. It's attached all the way around the outside edges. Start at the fender wells and work your way to the fasteners under the hatch.
Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll get it done over Spring Break.

Back