Roof rack/Rear heater

99ABTJ

Has anybody used/installed the back seat heater (ceramic 120v) that I often see advertised for Jeeps. Any reccomendations on install or comments on heat output would be helpfull. It's -40c here.

Also, I'd like to pick up a safari rack for my TJ. Any perspective on whether I should go with a fixed-bolt on, or the suspended kind on a frame, for a soft top etc. I have the hard on now and don't plan on going soft.:)

Personally I love the look of a bolt on compared to the ones with a frame.. But as far as I know the ones on a frame have a higher weight rating.. it depends what all you are planning to do with it. If you are just going to throw a few lights on it and maybe a spare tire, then i would go with the bolt on.. but if you are going to have some hardcore gear up there, then i would say a framed one would be best..

I have a Kargo Master rack for carrying extra gear. I really like it because you take out the two bolts on the front and the entire thing swings up over the jeep and lays on the ground to the rear, making it easy to change tops or put the soft top up/down. I also have 4 500w Helas mounted to it. I just bought a plasticized piece of box tubing from Thule and bolted it crosswise to the cage with 2 u bolts, then bolted the lights to it. The wiring runs down into the cab on the driver's side and connects via a 4 prong trailer light wiring harness, which makes it easy to swing the whole cage back. After lifting my jeep, I carried all 5 rubicon tires/wheels on the rack for about 30 miles, so it will carry a lot of weight. The bad thing is at highway speed with a lot of weight, it oscilates back and forth and gets a sort of harmonic motion going which I really dislike. However, for carrying 4 pair of skiis and 2 big waterproof foot lockers with stinky ski gear and boots for 4 people, it works just fine. It's also easy to crawl up on top of and stand/sit if you'r spotting game with binoculers, etc. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4680_400x310.shkl.jpg
    IMG_4680_400x310.shkl.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 348
yeah, i think that i read that a bolt on can have 300-400 lbs... and for camping and fishing gear that isnt to bad...

Back