Rubber hose from the front differential does what and connects where?

vlbridges

The title has about as much info as I can provide. The Jeep is a 1999 CJ and belongs to my grandson...we gave it to him 8 years ago for his 16th birthday. It's a mess now, darn it. Should have made him pay for it! Okay, back to the question...he stopped by today and told us there was a hose hanging down under the Jeep and he didn't know where it was supposed to go. My husband got under it and couldn't determine where it should go. Now he (husband) is wondering if it has something to do with vacuum? We gave the boy the manual...now he doesn't know where it is!

I will be happy to provide additional information if someone asks. Thanks for any help.

Valerie

If it is what I think it is the front axle breather hose. It runs from the axle up to ??? On the wranglers it mounts behind the shock well. It should have a white or green cap on the there end of it. I hope this helps.

I believe Mrsig is correct in that it sounds like you are talking about the vent hose for the front axle. It connects to nothing, just vents to the atmosphere. mount it as high up as you can. its purpose is to vent off pressure built up in the axle from heat, if you mount it very low and it is submerged in water, the axle will cool instantly and have a vacuum effect and suck water into the axle, (not good).
So mount it up high where you think it will never be submerged, I have even replaced the some what short rubber hose with a long piece to mount it higher..

Agree with MrSig and 69jeepcj. Excellent description of breather tube in last post . Thank you MrSig , your post nailed it too . One question however ; bridges posted the vehicle as a 1999 CJ ? The last production year of the CJ was 1986 , I believe. Can you verify the vehicle information ? Maybe an XJ , WJ , TJ or what if in fact a 1999 .

Agree with MrSig and 69jeepcj. Excellent description of breather tube in last post . Thank you MrSig , your post nailed it too . One question however ; bridges posted the vehicle as a 1999 CJ ? The last production year of the CJ was 1986 , I believe. Can you verify the vehicle information ? Maybe an XJ , WJ , TJ or what if in fact a 1999 .

Oops...TJ

Thanks everyone for the info...I shall now print it out so husband can read it in the morning over coffee.
icon7.png

Valerie

Sounds like a vent hose. Does it have a little dohicky on the free end? On my 2002 it runs up under the hood and next to my radiator. Remember to kppe a little slack in it so it does not pull loose with axle movement.

Bounty__Hunter; A TJ is a lot of vehicle for a male 16 year old kid.[/QUOTE said:
He's had it for 8 yrs now which makes him 24 now, Im sure you have more knowledge about such things then I. So it sounds from your statement he did well by still haveing it. Pretty sure he may be a hard core jeeper now.

He's had it for 8 yrs now which makes him 24 now, Im sure you have more knowledge about such things then I. So it sounds from your statement he did well by still haveing it. Pretty sure he may be a hard core jeeper now.

We used the Jeep to tow behind our motorhome...it wasn't beefed up at all. We had done some four wheeling but nothing too gnarly. One codicil to us giving him the Jeep was that we could use it when we took MH trips and he could use one of our cars. He didn't take very good care of the Jeep and now we wish we had made him pay for it...maybe he would have appreciated it a bit more. Yes, its a good thing that he still has it, unfortunately he does not have a job and the Jeep isn't being properly maintained. We bailed him out some months back by paying for some work so he could have transportation...can't recall now what the problem was only that is was parked and had to be towed to the shop for repairs. :-( We are not very good about dispensing "tough love".
Here is one of the first things he did after getting the Jeep...I think he took it pretty deep, don't you? The interior was never clean again. If he ever gets a job and has the $$$ to do what he would like to do to the Jeep he will most certainly be a hardcore Jeeper! Thanks again for the help. We were relieved to learn the fix was as simple as securing the hose. :)
2007 Muddy Jeep.jpg 2007 Muddy Jeep 2.jpg

PS. I miss the Jeep and did not get my fill of four wheeling...haven't done nearly all of the trails I had accumulated in my "When we get a Jeep" book.

Or more simply he still has it because he doesn't have a job.

I don't think anyone still wet behind the ears needs a Jeep or other performance oriented vehicle. They don't appreciate them at that age and all too often get into trouble with them.

Back