Rusty chassis

motorsports47

Bought a 97 jeep from Pa. on e-bay. Took delivery and it all looks good except for the undercarriage. The chassis has so much rust and so many holes on it. I started to clean it and the rust flakes just keep coming off. I would say I've removed about a pound of rust from just the passenger side of the chassis. I'm thinking the structural integrity has been compromised. Does anyone have any idea how to repair it? Is it worth repairing/welding? How much does a new chassis cost? Can anyone with experience give me some insight??? Thanks..

:thisthreadisworthlehow bad is it really

Pics would be helpfull.Think of it this way,your jeep is now lighter so maybe you will be able to use 5th gear.:lol:

Bought a 97 jeep from Pa. on e-bay. Took delivery and it all looks good except for the undercarriage. The chassis has so much rust and so many holes on it. I started to clean it and the rust flakes just keep coming off. I would say I've removed about a pound of rust from just the passenger side of the chassis. I'm thinking the structural integrity has been compromised. Does anyone have any idea how to repair it? Is it worth repairing/welding? How much does a new chassis cost? Can anyone with experience give me some insight??? Thanks..

you can get floor pans, rockers, etc... can you weld, do your own work ? that will help keep the $$ down.... the chassis you speak of is a unibody, so being pa. it could be shot ??? i'm battling the rust on my wife's 02 wj:(, and lost it on my 93 xj :(:x

Unibody? I dont remember a mention in the OP of which model of 97 Jeep; I too, have a 97 Jeep, mine is a Wrangler; and that is NOT a unibody. earlier this year, I found a replacement frame via Craigslist. the body on mine was perfect. Why the frame did what it did IDK. but while the body was sitting on the sawhorses I took the time to coat the WHOLE bottom side with DIY truck bed coating. Cheap undercoating. and I made sure to degrease the replacement frame and get POR 15 on the outside of it, and sprayed the inside of the new frame from every hole I could find to hopefully prevent it from happening again. My issue was the driver side rear just ahead of the rear wheel arch. I have pix of my tub hanging from the ceiling joists of my garage by 2 chain falls but am too computer stupid, to get em posted.
Pretty straightforward just lots of nuts n bolts.

Yes... If you have holes rotted through it might be time for a new frame soon. Check the junkyards. You might be able to find a good frame from a rollover or maybe a victim of the clunker program. Document as you go - it's not too bad of a job to do if you have some room to work. Also a good time to do a few upgrades. Best of luck - John

Back