same problem again...

mujaman

my 97 cherokee has been having the same problem for about 3 months now. as i'm driving, it "hesitates" (for lack of a better word) on and off. it never dies though... its just like all the gas for acceleration gets cut off and the engine just goes to idle for a few seconds and it feels like i let my foot completely off the pedal... then it kicks right back to normal. i thought the problem might have been a failing ignition coil, so i replaced it. that seemed to help some, but it still does it every now and then. any suggestions on what it could be? fuel filter maybe?

Yeah i would check the cap/rotor because it sounds like its doing the same as mine did. After I replaced those it ran like new.

thanks for the input. i'll look into the possibility of it being a problem with the cap or rotor. is there any chance it could be a spark plug issue?

sure could.. sounds like its an ignition related issue... coil, coil wire, cap, rotor, wires, plugs.. check 'em all.. make sure those wires are in good condition. if it was fuel, it wouldn't come right back after hesitating....

check the fuel filter as well. It can hesitate like that, and then come back to normal if it is not completely plugged. Make sure that all the points on the cap a rotor are not corroded or rusted- it should be nice, fresh metal showing.

Back