shackle reverse kits

cody77

hey everyone, just wanted to get ya'lls opinion on shackle reversal kits. i've read that they're suppost to smooth out the ride some and improve handling, but correct me if i'm wrong. also wanted to see who ya'll think makes the best bolt on kit, so far the only ones i've found are from full traction ($225 range) and rough country ($199) but i'm sure there are plenty more out there. thanks a million.[addsig]

for the money, its not worth it... its good on trails and smooths out onroad handling... but it wears the springs faster in the front and will give you nose dives whenever you brake[addsig]

The reverse shackles on my Jeep have been there since 1992 and are a set I fabricated after looking at other models (Easy to build, if you have the tools). The installation was reasonably easy understanding that you will have to remove the old (Front spring, rear mounts and drill 6 approx ½ inch straight holes in the frame) This involves cutting and some cautious grinding (So you don't weaken the frame) I have 5 total inches of lift which includes 3 1/3 springs and the shackle reversal (Adds another 1 to 1 1/2 inches) I use my Jeep as a daily driver (250K miles so far) and a weekend Rock Crawler. I have been a lot of places out West and including Moab, without problems. The "SR" has some benefits and I haven't found any complaints (as of yet…11 years)
On the freeways or city streets, I don't see any (other that the extra lift look) benefit. The ride is only as good as the springs, (the soft or stiff ones you installed) bushings, lube, the installation, shocks and the road conditions. Where I noticed a difference is on the trail. Not as much on rough trail, but more in rock (slow crawl) areas I feel a difference. When rock crawling you have spots where you max out the springs very quickly and the SR removes some of that Hard Bounce (From the springs reaching there limits) Note: The SR changes the spring pivot points to the rear of the front spring pack and will now be now consistent with the rear spring pack, which softens the Jolt that comes with bottoming out.

In response to Snitty:
Question?
What information do you have leading to your response?
I actually use the product and I didn’t seen any abnormal wear on the stock springs that continued to be used for about three years after the install (and those stock springs went on to a new life as a spring over on another Jeep, and to this day are still in use) nor in the years since installing the new lifted springs. Nose-diving did become a problem only after the new softer lifted springs were installed.
(The softer springs combined with the front-end weight and accessories, allowed nose-diving during hard stopping) Which was solved instantly with Rancho 9000 shocks set one notch stiffer.

I have talked to some that have installed a shackle reversal at the same time as the new springs and it would be possible to think the SR's were to blame.
I have also talked to others that said the ride quality was terrible after that install. Those were the ones that tightened the shackle bolts way to tight. Greasable bolts and the proper torque solved that.

More questions:
1. Would I do it again? Free? Yes.
2. If I had the money and wanted the extra lift and softer rock crawling ride? Yes.
3. Had to stretch my money to buy it or have other more important needs first?
Probably Not…I would the use the money for other modifications.
4. How long did it take? Better part of a day (Grinding the old mounts took the most time)
5. Smoothes out handling? If you mean on-road? No, it didn’t change the steering,
Performance, daily driving ride.
6. Is it worth the money? That’s a personal choice. (I’ve seen 42inch Swampers on the
Street, is that worth the money?) LoL

Good Luck :cool: [addsig]

I don't care for 'em, but that's my $.02 :-D They cause the front axle to move rearward when an obstacle is encountered offroad, which can unload what little traction the front tires may have had. To do it correclty means cutting and sleeving the frame for the shackle hanger, very difficult for many shadetree mechanics. The bolt-on kits hang the shackle from below the frame, which causes the leaf spring to get closer to the ground as it gets closer to the rear of the Jeep. It's unsightly, and the shackle and spring hit everything.

I can think of a large list of other things for a Jeep where $200 would be better spent.

If your set on it, check out M.O.R.E. whose SRS is also sold in JC Whitney :cool: [addsig]

when used in offroad situations, it will allow for easier flex of the springs... and when there is flex, there is wear... just like the SOA... because of the increased flex, the springs will wear out faster, their overall life will suffer... but... if kept on the road, it may never show any signs of increased aging ever[addsig]

Back