Should i be smelling gasoline

Conrad906

I'm new to jeeps and have a 95 YJ. I smell gas when I drive it.. Like the same samell a lawnmower gives off. This normal?

Chech the lines coming off the gas tank. Look above the drivers rear corner on the frame rail.
Could be coming from there.

NO.... aside from its not good for you, "it's not good for you or the jeep"... you gotta leak somewhere bucko..

You have a leak. Usual places are the gasket of the tank's sending unit (there was a recall on that one), the hoses (either the one from the pump to the rail or the return), the lines around the fuel filter (it's hidden behind a skid plate near the rear drivers' side wheel), or the fuel filler lines are cracked. Could also be the rollover valves acting up or the hoses from said valves (I just replaced mine today, as a matter of fact), but if you smell it WHILE you are driving the Jeep, my guess is that it is a rather LARGE leak, which is probably around the fuel pump of fuel filter...

My advise would be to drop the tank and check... It's really not that hard (took me about 2 hours to drop it, change the hoses, and put it back up all by myself today; but then again, this is the 5th time I drop it, so I pretty much know how to do it by now!). That way, you can check the hoses and all. You may want to start at the filter, though, as it is the simplest to check... Make sure the fuel pump is primed so that you can see (or smell) any leaks.

we had a saying in the NAVY "6P's".... Previous Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance!

I can smell it while I'm on the road (even interstate) with the top/doors off. So it can't be anything behind the drivers seat... Right? Based on the wind, etc...

Normally I would agree with the leaking coming from the top driver’s side hoses of the tank; I have found that just tightening up the claps will do most of the time without having to drop the tank; but if you can smell gas as you go down the road I would think it is coming from the front. I guess it could be from the back wash of air at the rear…. I would check out the hoses at the tank anyway then move towards the front. Anything around the fuel rail/injectors and you could be roasting marshmallows over your jeep when you least expect it.

Did anything change just before the smell started, like a new body lift?

Well, it's new to me, so I can't say whether anything changed. I'll start my check this afternoon. Is there a good maintainence manuel out there that y'all favor over others that I can pick up?

Well, it's new to me, so I can't say whether anything changed. I'll start my check this afternoon. Is there a good maintainence manuel out there that y'all favor over others that I can pick up?

Honestly, the internet pretty much as good as any manual you'll get at the local parts store. Just upload photos of anything you can't identify, or doesn't look right.

I'd try parking on dry concrete and looking for any puddles (you may not have any because the gas will evaporate quickly). You'll be sniffing around looking for cracked and rotted fuel lines. Start looking around your gas tank, where the filler connects, then look under the hood.

I can smell it while I'm on the road (even interstate) with the top/doors off. So it can't be anything behind the drivers seat... Right? Based on the wind, etc...

Your appreciation is incorrect; because of the jeeps aerodynamics (or lack thereof!), the is actually coming into the cab from the rear. If you have a GF with long hair (or you have long hair yourself), you'll notice her hair will constantly be on her face as a result of this. therefore, what you smell is most likely coming from the rearmost part of the Jeep (ie. the gas tank).

Does that thing have a carbon canister?
I think they are located on the drivers side just below the Brake booster and Master Cylinder.
If the hoses are bad you could be getting fumes from that.

Does that thing have a carbon canister?
I think they are located on the drivers side just below the Brake booster and Master Cylinder.
If the hoses are bad you could be getting fumes from that.

Not sure if you have one but the canister it’s self could be bad, saturated or cracked, even if the hoses are all good and connected they can smell.

Culprit found. And Jeezus do I feel like an idiot. There was no effing gas cap on.

Back