Small clunking noise

grizzlybear310

I had to drive in about 4" of snow this morning on my daily run and ever so often would hear a small clunking noise coming from what sounded like the driver side front wheel.
Only heard it while in 4WD.
Would notice it when I would stop and back up or put in drive and pull out.
Would do it one time each time I would put in reverse or drive.
Would not hear it in turns.
Is there a u-joint getting weak on me?
If so, are they easy to change?
Thanks.
Lester

Hey Grizz What are you driven and what power plant and drive train do you have. Start simple and work up from there. Do you have Alum. wheels on that puppy check your lug nuts first and go from there. Could be lockers or any number of things so give us a bit more to go on. tug

Tug-n-pull said:
Hey Grizz What are you driven and what power plant and drive train do you have. Start simple and work up from there. Do you have Alum. wheels on that puppy check your lug nuts first and go from there. Could be lockers or any number of things so give us a bit more to go on. tug
Sorry, 1996 Cherokee with 4.0 and automatic 4WD.
Stock wheels and have checked the lug nuts for just put 4 new rough tread tires on in Oct.
Makes no other noises other than the small clunk when put in drive or reverse and only after giving it gas.
Not when you put in gear.
Makes no noises in tight turns either.
Will not do it in 2WD.

4wheelNeal said:
Hey Grizz---
Might be your "u-joints"-- I had the same clunking noise in my front end.
-Neal
Thanks Neal, I had the front drive shaft loose the other day and the u-joints in it were tight.
Maybe an axle joint though.

Back