snowplow overheating

jamesdavidbell

Snow plow a few driveways - guage, every once in a while, goes to overheat - sit a coupple of minutes, all is ok. Plow restricts airflow but is a large plow and hard to get down far enough. Solution? Air intakes? Electric fan? Huh?

lower setting a t stat will help some.Electric pusher fan will really help.Make sure your pump is working properly and everything is circulating also.If your really need to remove the t stat all together.You may get cold some but so will the engine.Also how high do you run the RPM trying to push the snow?Regearing may help also.

There are many possible solutions, you will need to experiment to see which work for you. I assume your overheat issue is when driving between plow jobs and not when actually plowing a driveway, if I am wrong please let us know. Make certain you have proper coolant mixture and fluid level. Use a shroud around your engine fan. Switch to a fan with more blades, but not a flex fan style as they do not move enough air at slow speeds. You can add an electric fan in front of your radiator to push air into it. Try positioning the blade differently to allow better air flow. You could also try replacing the radiator with a larger radiator with greater core thickness. Even though your engine might not require a 4 core radiator the situation you have with your plow might dictate otherwise. Not knowing what type of Jeep you have you could also add louvers to the hood to allow hot air to escape, CJ's are notorious for poor air flow out of the engine compartment.

Last edited:
Snow plowing in August ? where are you was 80 deg today here

but to answer your question get a few ford taurus elect fans:D

Thanks to everyone - turns out it was the oil guage that time and replaced it. also had an auxiallary fan (electric) mounted in front of the radiator. That was last year. This year my 2005 Wrangler X (6 cyl) is overheating again while on the road - with a plow and now still getting warm (showing on the guage) w/o the plow. Thought it was the thermostat and just replaced it re filling the radiator and the over flow container next to it with 50/50 Antifreeze and water. The needle is still slightly to the right of center and moves towards hot (doesn't seem to get there) and comes back down at idle or lower RPM's. Water pump now and how hard is it to change it? I figure if I have to get a new pump, I might as well replace the hoses and serpentine belt (as well as those stupid factory hose clamps) What do you all think?

Back