soft top advice

arkypyro

RE: Anybody have an Extra Wrangler in Oregon or Washington??

I need input. Summer is on the horizon, and I am thinking about getting some sun. I have a 97 TJ with the 2 piece hard top. I think the previous owner had a bikini because I have what appears to be a bikini channel on the windshield. I want to know what kind of top provides the best rain protection or which one goes off and on easily enough to go off and on with the threat of rain. This will be my first summer in my jeep and I am really looking forward to it. I don't really want to spend the money to buy a complete soft top. Maybe a bikini and a cover to throw on in case of rain? How good do the bikini, tonneau, windscreens work? Please let me know what you use and what works for you.

RE: Sorry XJ

bikini tonneau and windjammer cobo's look good and will keep a little bit of heat in on a cold morning, but in a heavy rain you'll get a wet butt.

A full soft top is the only way to truly stay dry. They are easy to put up quick once you learn them. The TJ's tops are even faster.

RE: Re: RE: Dodge sneek peek Electric swaybar Disco

I have a best top, which is about 7 years old, was used seasonally, but I never switched this winter cause I am lazy... no complaints, no rips, no leaks, I did replace the windows with the tinted ones about 5 years ago, and those windows look great still!

Re: RE: 2006 FJ - It

I've been running a full safari top in the summer (half doors) for several years now (hardtop in winter). I love the top (still open but keeps the kansas sun off), but I'm tired of getting soaked :cry: . I actually think you are better off with no top going down I35 in a down pour. Anyway this spring I going to get a frameless softtop. Still have the airy quality but can keep you dry in a wink, at least thats the concept. :)

http://www.rockgearinc.com/

Just an option. I have learned that the biggest design flaw on my yj is no internal windshield wipers!

The reason I bought a Supertop from Bestop instead of a rock gear top was because Rock Gear themselves told me their doors don't seal very well and leak in wet weather.

Never even seen one up close but it came from the horses mouth.

RE: SYE Question

Thats a cool looking top though. It would be alot less hassle if your just looking for a summer soft top. I have a bestop bikini top for my yj and during a heavy downpour its not exactly dry. I have take out all my carpet and depending on my circumstances I dont really mind getting a little wet. The summers are hot as hell down here in FL so its kinda nice to cool off.

I think I am going ot order a bikini, windscreen, tonneau from quadratech. I will also get a cab cover that I can throw on in a storm. I can get all this from Q-tech for $349 including shipping. I don't know if I need the windshield channel or not. I have what looks to me to be a channel already mounted from a previous owner but don't know what is would fit, so I am going to go ahead and get a channel and if I don't need it will ebay it or something.

RE: still working on it

I've run my Best Top in heavy rains without door uppers or rear side or rear windows and never got a drop on me as long as I kept moving. I do have pictures and video of hailstones bouncing around the back seat though from one of my tornado chases in Nebraska last June!! I can take the top down or put it up in less than 5 minutes, including windows. When it's hailing, I found out I can put it up in about 30 seconds.

Back