Spotted some Jeeps in a field close to home

flatie46

I spotted some jeeps in a field on a dead end back road next to my house and saw a scrambler the mix. I've always wanted one but the ones I've looked at over the years have been pretty expensive. If this ones for sale surely he couldn't ask much, looks pretty rough. Gonna go back when I get a chance and ask about it. What are the problem areas to look for on these? Is there anything I cant get for one? If I can't get it or it's beyond fixin' gonna shoot for a CJ5,6 or 7. My Cherokee has been good to me but it's time to move on to the next big thing.

Even in tough shape there $$$$ very rear to find one now..Thats for sale.

Even in tough shape there $$$$ very rear to find one now..Thats for sale.
I know, theres a pretty nice one for sale close to me I've been thinking about but I hate to go in debt right now. I know this sounds crazy but I'd rather have a rough one. With a rough and rusty one If it get dinged dented or scratched you don't worry. I also look at all the hours of my life I save not washing,waxing and polishing. A POS suits me better all the way around.

Be sure to check out the frame! The frame on Scramblers is basically a streched CJ7.Watch for rust out near the front of the rear spring.Rusted frames can be fixed or replaced but either way it's a lot of work.Guess how I know about that:(
Good luck! Sounds like you may have hit the mother lode.

Yea, I can't really see why you'd have 6 or 7 jeeps in a field unless you were using them for parts, fixing them up as projects or parting them out online. None of this seems to be the case, at the house there's no "Nice Jeep". They all seem to be intact and driven to where they sit. Some people are kinda eccentric around here so you never know, The scrambler is sitting on a hillside next to the woods with the pass door open. Theres a cj5 in the woods kinda overgrown, the rest are in the field parked next to the road. One cj7 with a hardtop and 33's looks just too darned good to rot down. Gonna find out this week though, hope I dont get shot just askin'.

Good luck. I found a bunch of flat fenders and Willis trucks and wagons sitting in the front yard of a run down house fairly close to where you live and stopped, left notes and finally on the third stop someone answered the door. Older guy said they weren't for sale that he had plans for them. Since the weeds were growing higher than the jeeps and thru them in some places I guess his plans were lawn art.

What has already been mentioned, rust rust rust. if it was a rusted out POS, I would pass on it unless it is a factory original 304, then the Vin # alone are worth a hundred bucks. jeeps can be pretty much built out of a catalog now a days.

What has already been mentioned, rust rust rust. if it was a rusted out POS, I would pass on it unless it is a factory original 304, then the Vin # alone are worth a hundred bucks. jeeps can be pretty much built out of a catalog now a days.
You know I've spent alota money on vehicles in the past. I always seemed to loose my arse when it came time to sell or trade. Had some nice rides, 4x4's ,trucks I've even restored a 57 Harley frame up. The Cherokee I've got now had 278000 miles on it when I got it and was a rough POS. It's got 360000 on it now and is still a rough POS. I havent spent much on it and treated it like a borrowed mule. It's still worth about what I gave for it. I've had alota fun with it cause I just didn't care. I'm in the market for a CJ of some sort. I don't want a nice one that I'll be concerned if I bang it up. I want one that I can put a bikini top on about april and leave it that way till oct. So rust wont really bother me as long as it's not falling down on the frame. That scrambler is prob too rough to save and make nice [The pass door is just left open to the elements]. It might be just right to make a good trail ride and rough daily driver.

1976 JEEP CJ5 - $1650 (Belmont, MS)

Date: 2010-09-26, 6:46PM CDT
Reply to: sale-ay9ym-1975064720@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Jeep needs a fly wheel and a throw out bearing. Has 258 6 cylinder 4 speed transmission. (662) 424-0871 Wayne

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I know absolutely nothing about this Jeep,have no affiliation at all with the owner,but I live in Tennessee,and noticed that you do also.Looks pretty sweet,could be a steaming turd,for all I know!Saw it on Craigslist Memphis,Tennessee are,and just thought you might be interested!

1976 JEEP CJ5

Attachments

• 3n33md3pb5V05O65X3a9qeb92664307621ac7.jpg
    3n33md3pb5V05O65X3a9qeb92664307621ac7.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 417
Last edited by a moderator:
Thats about what a jeep should cost, problem is, old jeeps are starting to become the land rovers of the 80's. if some people recall, when the economy was in recession back in the 80's, people did not have the disposable income to go out and buy a corvette or a porsche or what ever type of weekend cruiser car, so they bought up all the 60's defenders raising land rovers resale value.. same thing is happening now, economy does not lend it'self to the average guy having a nice rid ein the garage so the yuppy's are starting to see classic jeeps as a semi affordable weekend cruiser, so when a decent condition vehicle comes along, they snatch it up for exactly what it is worth or more, driving up the cost of all other vehicles at the same time.

The last CJ8 I came across for sale looked decent enough on the outside, but the frame was rusted through. The owner had also done a shoddy job of welding in new floor pans. Idiot was asking $3500 for the rust bucket (it did not have the 304). The body and engine were salvagable, but there was fluid leaking from the drivetrain somewhere (couldn't pinpoint if it was the Xfer case or transmission). The frame on that one would have needed replacing. I think the old-school Warn winch on the front bumper was worth more than the Jeep itself. Sad, really. Would've been a nice ride if properly cared for.

So, to echo what's been said before...underbody/frame rust is point of contention. Also, check for oil and other fluid leaks.

1976 JEEP CJ5 - $1650 (Belmont, MS)

Date: 2010-09-26, 6:46PM CDT
Reply to: sale-ay9ym-1975064720@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Jeep needs a fly wheel and a throw out bearing. Has 258 6 cylinder 4 speed transmission. (662) 424-0871 Wayne

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I know absolutely nothing about this Jeep,have no affiliation at all with the owner,but I live in Tennessee,and noticed that you do also.Looks pretty sweet,could be a steaming turd,for all I know!Saw it on Craigslist Memphis,Tennessee are,and just thought you might be interested!

1976 JEEP CJ5
That's me right there!

Yea, I can't really see why you'd have 6 or 7 jeeps in a field unless you were using them for parts, fixing them up as projects or parting them out online. None of this seems to be the case, at the house there's no "Nice Jeep". They all seem to be intact and driven to where they sit. Some people are kinda eccentric around here so you never know, The scrambler is sitting on a hillside next to the woods with the pass door open. Theres a cj5 in the woods kinda overgrown, the rest are in the field parked next to the road. One cj7 with a hardtop and 33's looks just too darned good to rot down. Gonna find out this week though, hope I dont get shot just askin'.

They make good lawn ornaments :D
actually some old folk keep them cause they were in the family so long and they grew attached

but sometimes with a little coaxing you can get them to sell them real cheap like I did with mine 6 years or so ago .

I just found another willys its not a wagon but a panel truck think its a 53 the guy wants $2500. but I know I can get it for like $500.:D has no motor trans ect floor is gone and bunch of growth growing on it .
a few more days of neg I know Ill have my next project , time to go wave that green stuff a little more it does magical things
fingers crossed daddy's going to have a new toy :lol:

and yes I still love my B

Some people just like the attention that an old car or two sitting in the yard brings. Some people are delusional and actually think they're going to fix them up. Never happens.

CarsinBarns.com

There is a 69 or 70 Mustang in my town that has been under tarps in the same spot since at least the mid-70's. It is rumored to be a Boss 429 but I'm afraid of being shot at if I sneaked up to take a peek under the tarp. Dude that owns it is a little odd.

Back