Spring Over Axel ?

RedWrang

I have had people tell me that its easy to do. My question is a buddy told me i dont really need the trac bars on the front or rear. Do I really? Also someone thats done this tell me do you have to get a new pitman arm and do you have to get the driveshafts made longer? I already have the new spring perches and have done this on a Suzuki Samurai before but is a Jeep different? Also what about the transfer case, does it need to be lowered? I have a 3 in. body lift but it looks ugly, How much does a SOA lift your Jeep. Mine is an 87 Wrangler. Just tell me what all I would have to do to get it done. Please and Thanks
image-missing.png
[addsig]

the lift will be about 3-4 inches....whatever your axle tube is plus the spring mounts[addsig]

Not exactly an expert on lifts, but i believe that you would have to get a longer driveshaft OR lower your transfercase... and the driveshaft being the better way to go because you dont lose the clearance as you would lowering the TC. The Driveshaft will cost more though, probably a difference of.. say, 50 bucks for the T-Case to well over 100 for the Driveshaft. You'll probably need a drop pitman arm to keep your steering adequate.(ballpark 40-60$) Extended stainless steel braided brake lines are probably a good idea too, for all the flex you will get. (maybe $80 for front and back) Other than that, its up to the rest of the Jeepers out there, thats all i got even though theres probably more[addsig]

SOA gives an average of 5.5" of lift. In addition to the longer brake lines, you will need a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) and CV rear driveshaft. The front driveshaft may need lengthened. You'll need the spring perches, longer shocks, and a drop pitman arm.

You can drive it without the track bars and see how you like it, I run with only the front, and no swaybar. The stiffer springs will give less sway and better handling manners. Just drive it like a Jeep, and not a sports car.[addsig]

Plan on spending about $1000 for brand new stuff. About $300 per driveshaft, and another $300 for SYE. I also run with front track bar...no rear track bar. Haven't really noticed a huge difference with or without the sway bars...little more stable on the road with them attached. Good luck.

P.S. Good deal ditching the body lift...they are cheesy. You'll love the look and performance of a real lift.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Natty where do you buy your stuff from? I already have a SYE and I could get a whole new suspension lift for 4 or 5 hundred. So why would I want to spend $1000.00 for an axel swap. Im actually looking for someone thats done this before. Im getting alot of (you may have to) and (you mights) but noone has said what it really takes. Its alot cheaper than $1000.00
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Rubicon Express sells a SOA kit that comes with everything EXCEPT SYE and driveshafts... Link to the kit is HERE

Looks to me like pretty much everything...[addsig]

erhild I appreciate the link. That has answered my questions and alot cheaper than $1000.00. Thanks again for the help.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

sure...the lift is only $4-500. There's much more to doing the job right than just the lift. Every backwoods redneck thinks they can just throw a lift and tires on and be ok. When you start breaking other $hit...then start adding up your bills and you'll wish you did it right the first time. I'm all for saving money...the right way. It's all a decision of time and money. If you have the time and resources to tear apart every junkyard to find used and abused parts for cheap...go nuts. If you'd rather have new quality stuff that won't break(as easily)...then grab your balls and check book and go nuts again. [addsig]

hey!!!! im a backwoods redneck and i didnt just "slap" on a lift and go
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Just for the records this boy aint a backwoods boy but a country boy. Ive built and helped build more than my share of bad a-- offroad trucks, but most of these guys go for the 44s and military axels. Im just looking for a moderate lift. Why is it that RE sells a SOA weld on kit for about $259.00 and you Natty are saying $1000.00. I found that I dont even need to lengthen the driveshafts either. So I think I have found my answer and if anyone else needs some inexpensive help let me know and Ill try to help out.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

man relax ,,,, i'm a red neck from the big state of texas.... i'm soa and added an inch to the rear driveshaft... you can get longer brake line or run them under the frame.... i don't run trac bars and have stock springs... the one big thing you will need is a traction bar for the rear... axle wrap sucks ...

91 yj with 35 MTRs
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I couldnt help but notice that redwrang said that you dont have to go SYE when you go SOA. if you dont go SYE with a CV drivesaft then you must be driving your jeep strictly on the street. your chances of pulling your driveshaft out of your trasfer case when doing some crazy rock crawlng are high if you dont do the lift the right way. [addsig]

BigBlackJeep has been running SOA WITHOUT cv or sye... for about 2 months now... VERY OFFROAD used, and there have been no problems with the driveline so far. Entire lift was done for under $100. We're some handy men, so it probably should have costed a few more bucks... but I am planning on going SOA in the spring... and I intend on spending LESS than $400[addsig]

It says your jeep has a 3inch body lift with 30's on it. I have a 1989 jeep wrangler with 30's on it. Would it look right if i were to put a 3 inch body lift on mine without adding bigger tires.[addsig]

welcome my friend... sorry... who is that post directed toward? and yeah.... the tire/clearance should look just fine with 3"/30's.... but... I would suggest not lifting more than 2" via body lift.. that is a lot of stress on the mount bolts... You can go with a 2" body lift, and a 1" shackle lift, which will work well[addsig]

Snitty did you just turn the pumpkin of the
rear axle straight up to get away from a new
one???? :-D [addsig]

Back