SSBC Brake conversion CJ

84cjseven

I am going to do an SSBC disc brake conversion this weekend on my AMC 20 w/1piece axles. Any one have any pics of this conversion? May save me a little head scratching. The instructions are OK but no exploded views or drawings of any kind.

A130-2 kit From SSBC

you could have just modifier your backing plate by cutting it to match your axle retainer, then welded a caliper mount onto the axle and used a f150 rotor and 84 cadillac rear caliper and been done for half the price.

My guess is for this kit your going to have to pull the shafts and take the backing plate off, the kit will probably use some type of shim that is the same thickness as the backing plate to keep the same load on the bearing. then a bracket will probably bolt on to the inside of the axle flange.

Honestly.. call the manufacturer, you paid a lot of dough for this kit, they will have technical experts to help you over the phone.

I seem to recall a article like this in off roading or 4 wheeler, not sure which one a few years back. Had good pictures and all. If you have them, I believe it was 3 maybe 4 years ago. Not positive. I had the mags but were lost in a fire so I can't look then up

SSBC tech line has been very helpful and also said they are working on the instructions as they are vague. One picture or exploded view would clear everything up. The kit was advertised as coming with the bearings and seals. It did not so this has been a big hold up. The local parts house does not have a Timken TK-SET9 bearings and they are not a PDQ item. I just got them today and SSBC is in the process of getting them as well. When the SSBC guy ask where I got the info about the bearings and seals I sent him links to a few sites and two of those links was SSBC's own web site.:D So their customer service has been good and helpful.

As for fabbing my own you are right there are many places to find all kinds of info on do it yourself disc brakes. But I just dont have time to get into all the fab work. I am a Machinist and could do this. But I chose to spend the money and get a lifetime guarantee on all but the pads.

Longer story cut a little shorter I am on the way to getting this set up completed just waiting for a little break in the weather. I will press on the bearings Thr. And get the axles back in so I can at least roll it around.

Back