Starter??

lemurkiller

Hi. I'm a new jeeper. I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport. 4.0 liter, Inline engine. The problem is that it won't start. On last wednesday it started having problems turning over. On saturday it would not start. When i turn the key, it makes a sound by the back of the engine, but the starter won't kick in. I was wondering if it might be the starter or what you guys think about it. Thanks.

Get a jump start. Check the connections. Maybe just a dead battery.

it's not a dead battery. sorry, i forgot to mention that. When i turn the key, the radio and lights and stuff come on, so i know the battery is working.

That just means the battery has the 12 volts. It will not prove the battery has the required amperage. Just try hooking up jumper cables and see what happens .. Nothing to loose :)

Tried that already and had the battery checked at discount auto. they said the battery is perfect. i wishi it was only the battery

Well if your all sure the connections are good. Have someone turn the key and check if power is going to the starter solionid (spelling).. If its going into the starter, just get a new starter..

What kind of sound is it making ? A clicking sound ?

BTW. If your unsure if what i just said... Please take it to a mechanic. If somehow it started with your hand in there BY BY Fingers ... PLEASE be carefull !

a friend of mine who works on his jeep all the time said that the starter solionid is getting power, so he thinks it might be the starter, but he suggested this forum, because so many people know all about jeeps. The sound is like a click, but just one over by the rear of the engine and you can hear that there is power to the solionid.

control arm rub

Try the old hammer against the starter trick. A BFH is a good tool. lol. Just dont hit it too hard. A tap will work.

If that dont work I would risk the money and buy a new one.....

he tried tapping it several times and nothing happened. on wednesday and thursday of last week, it would not start the first time but the second or third time it would start. Saturday morning it worked the first time I tried it, but then saturday afternoon, it stopped working all together. now, every day i've tried it several times and we hit it a couple of times today and kept trying it, but it would not work at all.

my buddys explorer was doing that and we just had to replace the pos. and neg cable. Its not that to pull the starter and have it tested before u buy a new one.

Starter is cheap get a life time one at one of the mega chain stores that way when you stick in the mud and fry it you can get another one free. My money is on the starter. tug

by the way, my buddy and i were reinstalling his engine in his ranger, and we couldnt get the power to work so he went and bought new ground cables adn taht solved the problem entirely

jeepin' words!!

I have had a starter case actually break. All it would do is click the soleniod. Then after a few "love taps" with a hammer the soleniod engaged all the way to where the starter windings got voltage. however with the case broken it would not turn and I ended up burning up the wires and the battery post right off the battery. So I would be carefull about those "love taps". Take the time and have your starter tested and or replaced. Save on those unneccesary repairs.

Back