Steering Gearbox help

powelljc

Ok,
So a week ago, I purchased a 93' Wrangler 6cyl. It is my third jeep and with this one, I actually want to do some work to it and get it back to excellent condition. So, I started hearing this knocking in steering, had the ball joints and tire rod checkout and all is good, except I need a steering Gear box. Any help? What should I be looking for? Is this something a person that is mechanically inclined do myself, or should I take it in? thanks!
Jacob

Pretty straight forward to replace, hardest part is likely removing the pitman arm from the stock box. Rent a pitman arm puller from a parts store and tighten it as much as possible. Then strike the side of the arm where the sector shaft goes through it with a 3lb sledge. Tighten the puller and repeat.

Check out Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for used steering boxes.

a popular mod is to install a gear box from a dodge durango bigger stronger box with better turning ratio. (if you google it ya should be able to find more details if not let me know and ill send ya a link or 2) I agree with bounty hunter the hardest part is getting that pitman arm off. when i did mine i just bought a new one as i had a cheapo remover which broke when i tried getting my old one off. I also broke a breaker bar trying to get the nut off i was not happy that day. pb blaster is deffinately your friend but it doesnt work miracles.

Thanks guys... I will do some research on the pitman and gear boxes... I like the durango GB idea. If I have more questions, I will get back with ya. Thanks!

a popular mod is to install a gear box from a dodge durango bigger stronger box with better turning ratio. (if you google it ya should be able to find more details if not let me know and ill send ya a link or 2) I agree with bounty hunter the hardest part is getting that pitman arm off. when i did mine i just bought a new one as i had a cheapo remover which broke when i tried getting my old one off. I also broke a breaker bar trying to get the nut off i was not happy that day. pb blaster is deffinately your friend but it doesnt work miracles.

Does it matter what year durango gear box? Also, what are your thoughts about a used gear box from junk yard or a rebuilt one? been looking at ebay. The shop said it would cost me $290, but I would rather find a good one myself... thoughts?

Heat... Got ya. However, would it be best to just try and find / order a gear box with a pitman arm attached so I can just take out the whole thing and replace with a new arm and box?

'99 4wd Durango for a good donor steering box, and you won't be able to use the Dodge pitman arm. I'd recommend against heat due to seal damage. The puller/hammer method has always worked like a charm for me.

Nothing wrong with a junkyard steering box, it's the only way I roll.

if memory served me right you havta get one from a v8 durango or at least the info i got was to order one from a v8 if ordering new. my personal preference in the case of a gear box is to buy new. nothing wrong with junkyard ones i just like piece of mind of having new and a longer then 30 day warantee. as someone else mentioned dont use the durango pitman arm your yj pitman arm will go on the durango box just fine. I was also able to use a yj steering box brace and skid plate with mine even though the box is larger in case anyone was wondering about this.

here is a link to a thread on jeepforum with pictures and info i used on doing the swap in my next post. (post count at 4 apparently ya need 5 for some reason)

That forum is awesome! very helpful. I think I will try that. Does anyone see a problem with a duralast box from Autozone. It give me some kind of warranty (which is always good), but the cost for a YJ box is only $150, and the durango is $180... thoughts?
Thanks!

Back