Steering knuckle bolt thread reapir

RCJP

Hi recently i changed my disk brake rotor, and pads. and to my suprise one of the bolts that holds the caliper to the steering knuckle was missing!!.

also when i tried to put the other one in it never tightens, so I have an issue the threads.

So has any one tried to repair the threads on a Steering knuckle?

I heard of a guy that re-did the threads to the next available bolt size

any Ideas before I need to put down the money for the overhall of getting another steering knuckle?

heli-coil back to original size, done several. Good luck, Ron

Hi recently i changed my disk brake rotor, and pads. and to my suprise one of the bolts that holds the caliper to the steering knuckle was missing!!.

also when i tried to put the other one in it never tightens, so I have an issue the threads.

So has any one tried to repair the threads on a Steering knuckle?

I heard of a guy that re-did the threads to the next available bolt size

any Ideas before I need to put down the money for the overhall of getting another steering knuckle?

heli-coil back to original size, done several. Good luck, Ron

Hi Thank you I heard like 3 options.

The heli-coil,
get the next bolt size ( this means more work)

Also to try a longer screw with a nut at the on the brake-pad size. Have you tried this before?

I would not use a bolt and nut.

I highly recommend using a helicoil. They're a little expensive but it will be a strong fix.

Or replace the steering knuckle.

[Also to try a longer screw with a nut at the on the brake-pad size. Have you tried this before?/QUOTE]

Bad Idea I done that on my xj nut backed out and caliper let go , $100's of dollars in damage and get this it was a lock nut , FYI the heat from braking melted poly inlay in nut and all hell broke loose

Helli-coil or replace the knuckle way cheaper than creating a disaster like I had

BETTER SAFE THAN DEAD

Last edited:
[Also to try a longer screw with a nut at the on the brake-pad size. Have you tried this before?/QUOTE]

Bad Idea I done that on my xj nut backed out and caliper let go , $100's of dollars in damage and get this it was a lock nut , FYI the heat from braking melted poly inlay in nut and all hell broke loose

Helli-coil or replace the knuckle way cheaper than creating a disaster like I had

BETTER SAFE THAN DEAD

Hi thanks for the reply... I looking at inserts Helicoil and Thread Repair but Icant find a table so I know the exact measure of spring to buy, I went to a a Shop and they only had the full kit that is a $100+ they did not have the single package I looked in the net found those for around $25 But not sure about the measurments fot the tap and drill the caliper bolt is a 10mill I was told

what size have you bought

M8-1.25; Car Quest near me has them as does Fastenal, Grainger and such; if u were nearby I'd say cmon by; I have a few left over from the same repair on my XJ. it ain't rocket science.

Hi to all... the final thing was inserts. but not the helicoil kind. and since I hade a ripped boot I end it up taking the entire thing of.. but it was fixed. Felt great when I was done

thanks for the help. :)

Hi to all... the final thing was inserts. but not the helicoil kind. and since I hade a ripped boot I end it up taking the entire thing of.. but it was fixed. Felt great when I was done

thanks for the help. :)

picture of knockle with "silver colored" inserts on the top side of pic

and where i took it of from.

Attachments

• 2011-11-07 07.33.31.jpg
    2011-11-07 07.33.31.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 512
  • 2011-11-05 21.51.08.jpg
    2011-11-05 21.51.08.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 608

I bought a helicoil kit at Napa, had never done a helicoil before. It went a lot easier than I thought, did not have to take knuckle off to drill/re-size hole. M8 1.25 is a pretty small bolt for this type off application, too bad they didn't start with something bigger.

Back