steering problem

bigc

Hi, i'm a new owner of a 86 cj7. My question is this..... while driving i'm constantly having to overcorrect my steering because it feels like the back end is coming around, or getting loose on me.....it has a shackle lift, and i'm thinking that the springs may be rolling or giving in the back.....i'm going to change out the bushings and see if this helps...any other ideas, or suggestions as to what the real problem might be, or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated[addsig]

depending on the size of the shackles... you may be getting sway/tip from your shackles

[addsig]

also check your track bar and make sure all suspension components are hooked up right

[addsig]

The play and/or sway in a vehicle is often accumulative, a little here a little there, it all adds up. Seeing as you have a lift (shackle) I´d guess you have larger tires, the sidewall generally flexes, more on taller sidewalls. Raising the pressure some often helps. The bushings in the trak bar front and/or rear often wear out.

Front end peices that are loose, often translate to the rear end (it is the lighter part of the Jeep). Stiffer shocks often help troublesome, oversteer (rear wants to swing out first). Lastly do you have a limited slip diff.? These will cause a little rumba action on certain roads.

Best advice I can give is to have a friend shake, the Jeep left and right, front and rear and check closely for loose susupension parts.

Jeeps have a short wheelbase and most suspension problems become magnified.

The shackles with the H shape, the extra brace in the middle work much better.[addsig]

When i put the shackle lift in my jeep it felt like I was having to overcorrect the steering all the time. I didn't have h-brace shackles, so I am sure that contributed to it. But since the Jeeps have such a short wheelbase, any play in the suspension is overexagerrated. I would check all the parts to make sure that they are attached and that nothing isn't loose. Unfortunetly though, a loose suspension is something that may need to get used to on the road. A nice handling Jeep on the road is a bad one off the road usually, and vice-versa. Just have to pick which you want your Jeep to excell at.[addsig]

i had the same thing..

after renewing the bushing and the steeringhouse it was practicly over.

i must say that after lifting a jeep this will be a poblem that most likely

be part of your life,it's a jeep thing

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Ball Joints could be worn (Front End Suspension parts)

Yuo could try a steering stabalizer upgrade. MY CJ5 is to the point of dangerously swaying. Im gonna try the Rancho Dual stabalizer kit.

Other than that. Welcome to the world of Jeepn' and keep her slow on the highways till you figure out the prob. or become accustomed to it.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>also check your track bar and make sure all suspension components are hooked up right

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think CJ's had track bars.

Replace all the bushings in the leaf springs and shackles, that should tighten things up a bit. Use poly bushings to really tighten it up, but flex will be less.

Check the front swaybar bushings if you have one.

I'd recommend losing the lift shackles and getting a spring lift or AAL.[addsig]

Back