Steering Stabilizer Question

Hey folks,

Yet another stupid question (but thanks for all the great answers). I really have had no problems after my lift/tires on the TJ... but my steering seems a lot "looser" and less responsive on the road. Would a single Steering Stabilizer kit bring that back or close to the stock feel?

Looking at a Skyjacker stabilizer. Opinions on them? Really do like their Hydro's that I'm currently running. Any places online that offer them for the best price?

Or should I be looking at a transfer case lowering kit? Is it really needed with only a 2" lift?

THANKS!

-Rob

hey man do you experience any "wobbeling" while in the upper gears or over bumps? I experience this problem and was told i need a track bar drop... so ya i think one of those would suit you good... also about the t-case lowering kit you dont need one but it never hurts

Nope, don't believe I'm feeling any death wobble. It's at any speed that the steering feels "loose". The only way I can explain it. At high speeds, Im not getting and sudden wobbles or change in steering.

-Rob

Chrysler 8.25 axel...

This is Exactly what a Stabilizer is for. To correct the loose steering that happens when you get bigger lift or meats. You can usually get a replacement stabilizer for around 30-40 bucks.

The stock steering damper should be fine with that lift and 33" or smaller tires, unless you have high mileage and the damper is worn out.

Sounds like the problem is somewhere else, maybe in the swaybar or caused by softer springs.

What kind of lift did you do? Any changes to the swaybars or trackbars?

Its a 2" spring spacer with 32" tires. No changes to the swaybars (although disco's are in the mail) or trackbars.

I dont believe I felt this before the tires (I was running the lift with the stock tires for about a week). The tires were balanced and allined correctly.

It's only a very minor change in steering, to be honnest. But I might as well upgrade whatever is causing the "problem".

From what I read, the stabilizer should do the trick. Opinions?

-Rob

I´ve installed after market stabilizers, the feel was different, but not really better.
Could be a combination of things, a little different caster, maybe a little different alignment. And probably, what many people forget, sidewall flex on taller tires. Just for the heck of it, try inflating your tires, above normal, somewhere around, 35 PSI just for a test and try a test drive, try and ignore the harsher ride and pay attention to the handling only,

Howdy,

I had the alignment done the second the BFG A/T tires and rims were installed (a few weeks ago). Also did play around this afternoon with changing the PSI level and she still had the same handling.

Its not really a major problem. I can turn the steering wheel side to side about and inch or so without the tires responding too well.

Caster, should I be looking into doing anything to correct? I'm still new to everything lol!

Opinions?

-Rob :)

I`m not a front end guru, but I´ve heard caster is more important, when the vehicle is moving to help center the steering wheel. Like after you´ve turned a corner and accelerate a bit, the steering wheel will pretty much center itself. Could be a problem, but I doubt it on a minimum lift.
My XJ came with 215´s handled good. I increased the tires to 30´s and sure noticed in a hurry, my trac bar was worn. Changed the wifes tires to 235´s, noticed pretty quick the steering box was a little loose.

You need a front end alignment! Your tires are slightly pigeon toed. especially since you did not modify the pitman arm or trac bar. When trac bar and drag link are not parallel (can't spell) or at least close to, they will cause bump steer and high speed wobble. an alingment can solve most of this.

A new stabilizer will only have a minimum effect!

Johnny

Hey Robert,
What year is your Jeep and how many miles do you have on it? I have a 2000 TJ with 25000 miles and I'm running 31's. I want to go with 32's so I've been thinking about the 2" spacer kit also. Did you install it or did you have it done at a shop? I'm really interested to hear if anyone thinks you need the transfer case lowering kit or can get away without it.
Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.
Derrel

But Johnny, I am not feeling any bumpsteer or any death wobble! I've had the alignement done as well.

I've talked to a friend who said that the stabilizer will tighten my steering. Which is my current "problem". Ordered myself one. Might as well. Doesnt hurt.

About the spacer lift, I installed it myself. Very easy to do. Just put aside a few hours and a friend helps. I have not needed the transfer case drop, but I may do it eventually. The 32's fit fine!

-Rob

I doubt it, but you might have a steering box issue?? I am not sure, but when you lifted the vehicle, and tires, you might in some way compunded a pre-exhisting problem that before you didn't notice? again fo rhtis I am unsure. I had similar issues to what you have said, I put a new stabilizer on (mine was a original on a 94) and it did next to nothing, but reduced bumpsteer a bit, Got my allignment, Fixed!

Got my new stabilizer on today. My problem has been corrected! Great impovement, and not feeling any of the problems I had before.

THANKS!

-Rob

stock elec. fuel pump for 350?

A stabilizer will not tighten up your steering. Your steering was probably the exact same as stock (or damn close), but the bigger tires' weight made your steering seem looser (when actually it was just easier to turn) because the stock stabilizer was overworked. Your new stabilizer is probably a stiffer one and more capable for the larger meats, therefore your steering seems back to normal. Hey, whatever works and keeps ya (and your Jeep) happy.
-TC

Back