Steering stabilizer

JeepinCpt

I believe the PO left the stock steering stabilizer after lifting my 02 tj. If so should I swap it out? Sorry one pic is upside down.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110307_184847.png
    ForumRunner_20110307_184847.png
    722.8 KB · Views: 350
  • ForumRunner_20110307_184933.png
    ForumRunner_20110307_184933.png
    623.2 KB · Views: 396

Don't worry about it unless you have reason to believe it's worn out. A properly setup Jeep can run fine without a steering stabilizer, so you'll be fine unless it's shot.

I would replace it. Personally I swaped mine for a new heavy duty one. It made all the difference in the world. The stock one is the equivalent of a screen door shock in my opinion . But it's up to you
I found it cut down on the shimming that occurs when going over railroad tracks and pot holes

Well for the 40 bucks they cost it would not hurt to swap it out. I am running 33's so I guess a heavier duty stabilizer will be in order.

Make sure you take color into account when ordering the new one. It seems that manufacturers love to make these things out of florescent colors. I think Rubicon Express, Rough Country and possibly Teraflex are all silver / black

i just used a heavy duty monroe when i did my last two jeep lifts. never had a problem. since its yellow though, i painted it black

Same as bounty mentioned, you really don't need it. In my opinion, I find that a stabilizer will mask and hide actual steering feed back issues like bad ball joint, improper toe etc..

I agree %100 with Bounty and JPS. They are not needed at all if your alignment is set correctly. If not they just cover up symptoms you should be noticing so a small repair doesn't become a big one.
I run tires as large as 41x14.5x17 and I do not need one at all.

Back