Stock YJ 31"s?

Branjmb

I've read several different opinions/"facts" on whether or not 31's will fit under a stock YJ...

I've heard some people say they will but it rubs a bit....rubs too much for off-roading? Is there any way to fix the rubbing easily, like spacers?

It will rub on-road when the suspension flexes like entering a parking lot ramp at an angle. Will also rub in the rear with passengers in the back seat. Will rub like crazy in the rear when offroad.

If you want easy tire clearance, consider a 1" body lift, TJ fender flares (requires minor sheetmetal trimming), and long add-a-leaf kits. I make my own 1.5" AAL kit using a used pair of front YJ springs, cut the spring eyes and use the top 2 leaves of each pack inserted in your stock spring packs.

Avoid shackle lifts.

I'll second what bounty says, and add some pictures to prove the point...

This is how my rig looked when I got her (stock and 31's). Notice how the flares are all arched from the tires rubbing:

JeepwKCLights2-1.jpg

JeepwKCLights3-1.jpg

Jeep-1.jpg

Now, with 31's and 4" of lift, it will look more or less like this:

DSC02420-1.jpg

DSC02421-1.jpg

In my opinion, 4" is a bit too much lift for 31's; I would go with 2.5" for 31's, and you will probably save yourself from a SYE (or TC drop). For 4", 33's look MUUUUCH beter!

DSC00170-1.jpg

Hope that helps...

Felipe

Back