Storage compartment question

pizaba

alright,

so i'm looking for a storage box that will go over the wheel well. actually looking for 2, not because i have that much crap to put in there, but because i like uniformity. i see that those blasted truckers have some, but firstly, i don't have a truck, and secondly not only do i not want them to be plastic, i want them to be metal.... black metal... black metal with diamond platting... black metal with diamond platting with a textured finish. am i being too day-dreamy? mainly, i'm looking for something i bolt in, metal and textured black. diamond plate is optional. but i want them over the wheel well. any pointers?

Are you talking about bed rail boxes? The type that are "L" shaped? I don't know of any for a jeep but, I bet you could maybe find a used full size one, cut it in half, weld a couple of new sides on, add a couple of hinges, Herculiner that *****, and there you have it. A black box with texture and maybe diamond plating if you're tricky. Now you got me thinking. I'm thinking a drop-in box/metal tonneau cover for when I hit the trails. That would be 2 boxes on the sides, a flat in the middle of them, and weather-proof storage under the flat that would be accesses through the tail gate. Maybe even speakers cut-in behind the seats. That might even call for a permanant install. Umm... If you don't I think I might!

well, sorry to get your gears turning. i just went outside and looked. my jeep, maybe not yours, but mine doesn't have space for the "L" boxes. the wheel well extends to the tailgate hinges (i guess to house the wires for the crush lights?) very anti-climatic for me. i was getting all excited about some sweet boxes back there. the most i could do is put a box that goes from the top of the wheel well to the rim of the body, but that's barely 6 in x 8 inx 18? maybe... if i'm lucky. which would be good for small tools or a wannabe cooler, but i have the smittybilt G.E.A.R. mollie pouches on the seats and the tailgate so i've got alot of storage (potential). bummer

I'm not giving up....Let some daylight hit so I can get a good look. I'll hit ya back tommarow. Don't ruin my sweet-a** dream yet. (I don't want to cry myself to sleep again!) Crap, now I've gotta go look through the freezer for ice cream (comfort food)!!

I'm building mine, except I want mine to go BETWEEN the fender wells and strong enough to place a carpeted plywood mat over it for my dog Stupid to sit.

Something like this?

image-missing.png

TJ Speaker & Storage Lockbox Set for Jeep Wrangler TJ

Those aren't bad but, I still think something can be fabbed for cheaper, and have more storage to it. But on the other hand, I do like the idea of being able to keep my rear seat in 24/7.

i saw those last night when i was shopping around. they don't look bad, but i don't want speakers boxes attached. and i'm sure we all know that when it comes to the jeep, it can look ghetto, but it can't be the wrong color. haha

my problem is 2 things. first the wheel well extension really got under my skin. 2nd, if i were to find/fab a box it's not gonna be very big because my roll cage bars go into that "extended" wheel well thing and (hopefully) to the frame. so maybe for me that box idea isn't the greatest. but DAMNIT! it was a good idea. if only.... if only..

Back