Street/Trail

Jeeper99

I hope I don't get looked down on too bad for asking this, but what do you guys usually run as far as lockers if you use your jeep for a daily driver, but also hit the trails whenever possible? I've read up on the OX manual locker, but was just wondering what some of your opinions and set-ups are for my situation. I appreciate any help and advice.

This place Rocks!!

Jeeper99

I run spools in both axles. Been running this way for 2 years now, ran with lincoln lockers (welded diffs) in both ends for at least 5 years before that. I drive onroad in all types of weather conditions with no problems. I have locking hubs on the front so the spool is invisible onroad, and my d44 has a cable disconnect so I can run 3wd for better turning on tight trails.

The front spool isn't for everybody, takes some getting used to, but I like the KISS reliability.

I'd recommend a rear spool for anybody on the street, inexpensive, bulletproof, KISS reliable, no automatic locking to shear axleshafts. Save the money and get a selectable for the front axle.

Jeeper99 I can't help you with your question... but I did want to let you know that in the year I have been on this site I have not seen these guys and gals looked down on anyone needing information! It's a great site and feels like home.

A spool locks both axleshafts together permanently, like if an ARB or OX Locker were always "On". They run about $100, cheaper than any locker out there. Then there's the mini-spool which simply replaces the spider gears in an OEM differential to lock both axleshafts together.
AXLE2020DIFFERENTIAL20dana206020spool-1.jpg

I have a Detroit Tru Track up front and love it. Its a limited-slip set up it was fairly cheap(cant remember how much). Works well off road and has good street manners.
Dont have any thing in the rear yet planning on an OX

I run dual ARB's lockers, I love being able to lock and unlock one or both axles on the trail for those tight turns. I know the cost is a lot up front but having open diff's on the road sure make hitting the gas station bear-able, then being able to lock just the rear in the worst snow storms this state can throw makes the slippery stuff fun.

Two years with the ARB's and no major problems (replaced one seal/ miss-installed), started off with a lock right in the rear, was difficult to get it to lock-up at the right moments off road.

Bounty Hunter, with your spool set-up, don't you have any problems with tire wear on the streets? That is my main concern. I would hate to fork out the cash for a good set of 33's with fear of them gettin eat up.

That's why I was wondering about getting the OX manual locker for front and rear or any other alternative that is less costly. :???:

I have a Detroit Tru Track up front and love it. Its a limited-slip set up it was fairly cheap(cant remember how much). Works well off road and has good street manners.
Dont have any thing in the rear yet planning on an OX

Hmm, that's another good possibility. I've been burning up the jeep magazines and tech info on the internet lately. I've really got the Jeep "Upgrade" Itch!! :lol: Just so many questions to ask, I hope you all bear with me.

No problems with tire wear.

What rear axle do you have? You would need at least a D44 in the rear to run a spool, otherwise you're more limited in choices.

I've seen the limited slips work well in the front up to about 35" tires, at which time it seems they don't work as well as if the clutch packs slip a lot more with the extra tire mass.

it's just a stock 99 TJ sport with the 4.0. I havn't done anything to the driveline or suspension at this time. Hence all the questions. :) What's the stock front and rear axles on the 99 models?

The standard axle was the D35, not sure what year the D44 rear option was introduced but it generally came with the 30" tire package. Post a pic of your rear diff if you're not sure.

The front axle is a D30.

Check out the tag bolted to the diff covers, the first three digits will be the gear ratio. Post what you find.

The standard axle was the D35, not sure what year the D44 rear option was introduced but it generally came with the 30" tire package. Post a pic of your rear diff if you're not sure.

The front axle is a D30.

Check out the tag bolted to the diff covers, the first three digits will be the gear ratio. Post what you find.

Ok, I found some numbers on the rear end.

0081-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

0111-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

Jeeper99,sorry buddy, but the d35 is just plain junk, ive seen them break with 31''s and a 4 cyl pushing them! Save your money for a ford 8.8 or something like that and youll be better off in the end,as for your d-30 front end its not the best,but stay with 33''s or smaller, add alloy axles, and a lockrite,i think youll be good to go

Back