Sub/Amp problem

Redz72

My sub stopped working in august on the way home from a wheeling trip. It was super hot out that day and the sub was really working hard. I assumed it just cut out do to the heat. It never came back on. So I bought a new 6.5" sub and installed it. And that doesnt work. All I get is a slight muffle out of it. I tried different wire config but nothing helped. I think my amp is prob blown How can I tell for sure?

Thanks

Check the wiring to the sub/amp connectors. If that checks out good and you've already installed a known good speaker and still doesn't work, it's likely that the amp is fried.

Check the wiring to the sub/amp connectors. If that checks out good and you've already installed a known good speaker and still doesn't work, it's likely that the amp is fried.

I am pretty sure the wires are good. Is there anyway to just replace the amp? Or should I just buy a small amp and wire it to the replacement sub in the concole?

How exactly do you check the wires for sure? I have no other speaker/ electrical problems.

Check the current coming into the amp. And any amp of similar wattage and impedance will do the job.

first check the amp fuses and indicator light, make sure its not in protection mode if so the amp is fried if its in perotection mode,then check the power connections, like the power wire to the amp make sure its all solid connections. then check the remote wire from the deck to the amp, then make sure the amp has a bare metal ground, and check all the wire conections on the amp. sounds like its a poor connection somewhere

Are you talking about the stock amp inside the console, or an aftermarket amp?

Assuming your amp is good ... the factory amp is a 1 ohm amp, and pushes about 75 watts peak. Chances are that you've purchased a 2 ohm speaker, so it's getting about 37.5 watts.

What type of sub did you buy? My guess is that it's not getting enough power.

Back