Sub Placement???

Joopin

Super Moderator

The time has come to get a new sound system... My tax returns will be here shortly and all my speakers are pretty much shot. So I am going to get a cd player, new speakers for the sound bar and dash, an amp and a sub. I am currently making a new center console that will accomidate my amp, the console will be bolted to the floor and have locking doors on it... the whole nine. (I will post pics of it soon) Anyway that still leaves me wondering where to put the sub. I know the obvious place is behind the back seat with some quick disconnects, but I was wondering if anyone put one somewhere else... I was thinking of getting a smaller sub and putting it under my drivers seat... or maybe 2 small ones, one for the passengers side too. I will have to talk to the stereo place but I wanted to know if anyone tried anything like this... Thanks for any input.
~Joop[addsig]

hmm... the '01 TJ sahara i drove last summer had a factory sub. i wanna say it was below the center console. it hit nice and hard if you wanted it to... unless you have a hard top and full (locking) steel doors, (that you leave on FULL TIME) i'd suggest hiding it pretty well tho... those wranglers are an easy target for a walk-by snooping... under the seats sounds cool... but i'm concerned about the enclusure not having enough volume to hit hard enough to sound good. i'd suggest a little 8" or 10" sub for under the center console...[addsig]

Yeah I have a '02 and it has the factory sub. It's in the center console and it faces the drivers side. Its pretty nice. But if your lookin for some thing to make your teeth rattle get a honda than get some subs.[addsig]

I'm also looking at doing the same thing. I have an 8" Polk Audio that isn't being used,
it used to be in an enclosure behind the back seat. Since I tossed the back seat, that is
no longer an option. I was thinking of mounting it ("free-air" for you enclosure types)
behind the center console facing the firewall. As bass is omni-directional, it's location
and direction are irrelevant (I'm generalizing here, there is something to be said for
pointing it in to the floor :evil: )

I haven't pulled apart the console yet, but the vent controls are shallow, so it should fit.
The only question is mount points and stand-off distance. I was also thinking of putting
the amp behind the passenger airbag / glovebox. Yeah, the fuses are there... I'll think of
something.

How can you put it under your seat? Isn't that where you keep your pistol? :-?

Let us know what you end up doing, I may be following your lead shortly.

Cooper.

Back from job seeking hiatus. Status: TBA [addsig]

Well I think the center cosole that i am making will be too small, i designed it to be 7.75" wide... enough room for the amp on the bottom of it but not a sub. I was going to put the sub in a box then take the drivers seat out bolt the sub box down and put the seat back on the seat stand thing. The only thing is it will have to be a shallow box and the sub will most likely be facing up... I have seen the consoles in quadratec that has the sub built into it with the amp too... but since im making my own im not going to go that far... thanks for the input so far... Keep it comin![addsig]

Sorry, I got confuzed... I meant the center dash console. Not the console between the
seats... Oops. Think it might fit there?

Cooper.[addsig]

Think you could convert the glovebox on your dashboard into an enclosure with the sub facing down? Could probably be done if you're handy with fibreglass.[addsig]

Hey bigTlilODD, what are the dimentions on that bazooka tube? Hieght, width... will it fit under a seat you think?[addsig]

I want to mount a frame under my factory between the seats console. This will allow me to have thle up high enough for an arm rest and then place a Bazooka under it. BigTlilODD did you face your tube to the rear? The size would be a big help in the design of this thing. Tug[addsig]

I have 2 8inch subs in my center console the amp is also mounted in the console. They are both facing downward. Ive had them set up like that for years never had a problem.

I have it out now to fix the the vinyle that was covering it. Heres a pic without any covering or lids on it but you get the idea.
nullconsole

edited by: GEAH, Mar 03, 2003 - 11:17 PM[addsig]

what i did waz went out to pep boyz or k mart and bought a really cheap box it came with really bad speakers so i swapped them out for 2 8" subs. i put them behind my back seat facing the hitch and with the top of you could hear them from a good distance away and with the top on all i have to say is wow it waz loud [addsig]

I have a friend with a 12" JL downfiring in a center console enclosure... sounds amazing.... JL Console
for another creative install check this out....JL underseat install... its an install of a billion 8 inchers under the rear seat

edited by: Snitty, Mar 04, 2003 - 07:24 AM[addsig]

Tug; Since it's a sub it really doesn't matter which way it faces. But mine points forward. Because the amp is attached to the right rear wheel well and the wires where cut to length. Personally I wouldn't put any speakers under the seats. Water tends to pool up in that area. Also, the box that the speaker is in, must be a certain size. It has to have X amount of air per how big the speaker is. My bazooka is a 10"er. all the ladies go
image-missing.png
Plus with it right there it doesn't get in the way of anything. I'll have dimensions tonight. I'm thinking about moving it to the passenger side and up under the dash somehow. I'f I can rewire that area and tuck it up in there somehow. Bazooka tubes are great because you can attach them pretty easily.[addsig]

I have 2 JL audio 12w3 in a box behind my back seat. fits great and sounds great. I put the amp(1x500w JL) under my back seat. :-D [addsig]

Well today I measured under my drivers seat and it has a big lump under there... if it wasn't there then it would work but oh well... the bazooka tube seems like a good idea but I am in the middle of making a center console to hold my amp, 5 disc changer and other things... I would love to put them under the back seat like that JL thing... but I don't think i have the time for that... but whatever I do it will be soon, Thanks for the help I'll keep ya posted
[addsig]

The way a sub faces actually can make a difference... the air waves are deflected by different materials and different surfaces in many ways. as far as the direction of the air waves, it makes very little difference. but when it comes to placement, deflection off hard surfaces can be a good thing[addsig]

I have had a number of systems in my YJ and as well am a MECP installer. I have found that a down firing sub in the rear as the best, if you want, email me and I can return to you a spec sheet with the list of subs and amps I have put together. I found a single sub to best suit my listening tastes, Plus allows for some storage space, but I at one point was running two 10" Punch power DVC. Currently I am running a JL 500 Mono block and a 12" kicker Solo L7 dual voice coil.
If any one wants to please email me, It might take a couple of days to get back to you but I can get you specs for enclosures plus tell you how to build awesome boxes cheap! Plus CD changer in a YJ glove box! :lol: [addsig]

jps4jeep, sounds good, The specs would really help, but in order to email you... I need your email address!! I'll pm you too about this, doesn't look like you get much time to post... actually just email me with the info if you could... jgioulis@hotmail.com Thanks

edited by: Joopin\', Mar 05, 2003 - 10:08 AM[addsig]

Back