Super Swamper TSL SSR

GaryMB

OK, soon I'll be buying new tires for my project CJ, and I had planned on getting BFG MT's which is what I've run in the past, but have been tossing around the idea of a radial swamper. For those who have run the Radial SSR Super Swamper, how do you like them? How long have they lasted you on the street?

I bought the ssr when they first came out about4-5 yrs ago. Personally I think they are better then bfg/toyo/off brands. They worked really well in the snow/ice and decent in the mud. They are very quite on the road and will probably go easily 40k....They are NOT as good in the mud as the TSL radial or other aggressive mt's, but close to the mtr's i have now(which totally suck in the mud but are freakin sweet on the rocks)..If it's not a DD think about TSL radial(or better the irok :)..).........Is portola vally aroung santa cruz? Or is it different.

The Jeep's going to see alot of street miles, so I figured the most aggressive tire I would get would be the SSR. So would you say it's worth the extra $ over a BFG MT? 40k miles isn't bad; if it's an all around better tire or at least better in the mud than a bfg, then I will probably save up the extra bucks and get the SSR...I've always wanted a swamper anyway...although I've heard good things about the nitto mud grappler...

I ran 38x16.5's tsl swampers on my rig, paid $1600 and got about 20k on them, I will NEVER:x do that one again, I stick with the BFG's now. My rig saw alot of street and maybe 1/3rd trail time. Think HARD before you make the big drop.:D

I was wondering the same question today. I can't decide between 31" or 33" tires or between Interco's TrXuS MTs or TSL Radials. I will be probably 75% street and 25% trail. I will be spending 3-4 months of street driving in snow though...Suggestions?

I would get the ssr over the bfg. It's just a better tire. I've heard some say the ssr has wek sidewalls but i never had or seen problems. The bfg on the other hand i have seen at least 4 rigs either puncture or rip them apart on rocks or rutted trails with roots/stumps/rocks. They probably will ride and wear the same asuming you take care of them. And 20k for swampers is very comon for BIAS PLY and people who put them on big trucks and drive on the street(waste of $$)

JeepcrewX5 said:
I ran 38x16.5's tsl swampers on my rig, paid $1600 and got about 20k on them, I will NEVER:x do that one again.

Dang! I used to buy my 44" tsl's brand new for $1200 at the MOST. And that's the common price for them! Where'd you pay 16k for 38's at??

Portola Valley is pretty close to Santa Cruz, about 20 miles northeast of it. Hollister is the 'wheelin place around here.

88Wrangles said:
Dang! I used to buy my 44" tsl's brand new for $1200 at the MOST. And that's the common price for them! Where'd you pay 16k for 38's at??

Four on the rig and one spare, $ worked out to about three somthin apiece, I think there was a handling charge as well because they had to be shipped to the tire shop.

bcrowe said:
I was wondering the same question today. I can't decide between 31" or 33" tires or between Interco's TrXuS MTs or TSL Radials. I will be probably 75% street and 25% trail. I will be spending 3-4 months of street driving in snow though...Suggestions?

Bcrowe.... is the rig ur putting the tires on the one in the pic? I had the same question, I have a 2 1/2 lift with one inch body lift, curries boomerang shackles in the rear and tow shackles up front. I went with 32" bfg's and had zero rub, we did the john bull trail in the local mountains here and I made it out no prob. If anyone's interested here are some shots of others on the trail, most of our shots from the day are video, if anyone knows how to download video I would share.

http://community.webshots.com/album/446526991rKabCx

GaryMB said:
Portola Valley is pretty close to Santa Cruz, about 20 miles northeast of it. Hollister is the 'wheelin place around here.

Man, I grew up over in scotts valley and ben lomond and of couse at the beach mainly cals .

Back