Surface rust on the axle?

JeepinSC

I remember having this problem with my 95 but is there any tricks to preventing or removing surface rust from the axle area near the wheels?

Thanks,
John

Sandpaper will do it. After that, I'd recommend painting the axles with black primer at the least. Paint will help keep the rust away. Make sure to spray on two or three coats.

is the rust on the body or on the actual axle? if it is on the axle, I would not stress it. I mean, before I cut up my 41 plymouth, it had the original rear axle and it was rusty, I mean spent it's entire life in the north east where we salt the crap out of roads rusty, but completely functional.

If it is the body your worried about, best bet is to completely cut out all the rust and weld in a patch. you can sand it down and pain it, but the oxidation process has already started and that will only be a very temporary fix.

is the rust on the body or on the actual axle? if it is on the axle, I would not stress it. I mean, before I cut up my 41 plymouth, it had the original rear axle and it was rusty, I mean spent it's entire life in the north east where we salt the crap out of roads rusty, but completely functional.

If it is the body your worried about, best bet is to completely cut out all the rust and weld in a patch. you can sand it down and pain it, but the oxidation process has already started and that will only be a very temporary fix.

Nah, the Jeep in brand new so there is no rust on the body. There is just a little on the axle.

I'm getting this on my 05 TJ, and it kind of ticks me off. My axle and suspension seem to be rusting for no reason (meaning there are no scratches). I don't think it's a problem, but I get the feeling that the factory just painted the driveline of the Jeep as an afterthought.

Heck, I don't think they painted the driveshafts at all.

This is normal. If you can get the axle housings really clean (meaning no grease) you could POR15 them. They do rust up around the welds but don't often fail. I removed all of my Jeep's bolts when it was brand new and greased them with marine grade grease. That way in 20 years I should be able to service it. Yes... I basically took apart a brand new Jeep. Most important are the skid plate bolts. - John

I tried POR-15 on my rear axle. I don't know what I did, but it peeled off in some spots. It looks like VHS tape when it peels, too. I wouldn't bother with the stuff. Rustoleum is cheaper and easier, and it smells nice...mooooh-(

Back