Suspension Lift

Jeepz4Mee

I recently bought a 2" suspension lift, however, I only installed the rear leaf-springs and shocks. Also, I lowered the transfer case. When I put everything back together I noticed, when I first started driving it, that I could not go into any of the lower gears. I dont mean lower as in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I mean the gears that are closer to the back of the car, such as 2nd, 4th, and reverse. I dont know if this was caused by only lifting the rear first and not the front or if the transfer case drop lowered the transmission which, caused the shifter to not have enough room to make it to those bottom gears. If that is the case do I need to notch out where the shifter meets the floor boards to accommodate for the room needed to shift gears?

With lowering the TC it probably messed with the angles needed for the shifters to engage properly. Personally i dont think you need to drop your TC with a 2" lift. Try taking it out and seeing if that corrects your shifting problem.

Bacon

Are you planning on lifting the front? I'd finish installing the lift - if that doesn't help then remove the TC drop.

Yes, this weekend I plan on doing the front. Just didnt have enough time to finish because I had to sawzaw the shackle bolts which took forever. So you think its the TC drop that caused it? Thought that wouldve helped it if anything. You dont think that its just the notches where the shifter is because it will go into gear its just that i have to really push down on it and hold it there for it to work. By the way I have a 95 YJ with 3" body lift if that helps.

It's a combination of the 3" body lift and the 1" transfer case drop, which lowers the transmission shifter 4" total. The transmission shifter is hitting the tub in every rear notch. Trim the tub or do away with all that gaudy body lift.

I would run without the 1" TC drop unless you have issues. Remove it and check spline engagement on the rear driveshaft before driving it.

Back