t-case help

cocy

so my transfercase when out the other day so no more 4x4 for me and have about a foot of snow right now lol. anyway does any body know what years or other jeeps I could get a tcase from that will bolt up, my jeep is a 92 Comanche, 4.0 h.o. with ax15 trans. it a np231 t-case. I'm 99% sure the out put shaft on trans is 23 spline. someone told me and t-case from a 6 cylinder 91 and up would work. I always thought and auto trans had a different spline count???

From 91 up autos have a 23 spline but I've heard the manuals have 21 but not sure on that one.

You have the short 23spl input shaft on your transfer case, so look for a '88-'94 Jeep 6cyl 5spd with the AX15 transmission. A Cherokee would be your best bet.

So what happened to your transfer case? I rebuild a lot of them and have a lot of parts.

the other day I was driving down the road pulled it into 4th, didn't notice anything different then when I was coming up to a stop sign it started making a really loud gear grinding sound. it only makes the sound when slowing down in 4th. still drives fine in 2wd.
now I know where I can get a tcase pretty much free but it's bolted up to a ba-10 right now. I know it works with out a proble, from what iv read online changing the input gear from 21 to 23 doesn't seem too hard? or is this a bad ideal?

It's possible to swap the input shafts between the two, not hard at all with the proper tools.

If you get your TC apart the problem may be obvious and it's possible you can fix it with new parts or parts from the donor TC.

hopefully this weekend I'll take apart the broken one and see what I got going on I. there. thank you for the help, I'll let u know what I come up with

ok well I took apart my tcase nothing seemed to be broken or grindings in the fluid, but it does seems that I'm missing syncor ring. I have another case I took apart and it has it. could this be my problem? I'm kinda at a lost. don't want to put it back together and it still not work

Around '96+ they got away from using the synchronizer ring on the hub, earlier models have it.

humm........I compared it to the other case I have and that I know works and couldn't find see anything different but that ring. maybe it's not pumping oil like it should be and that's where the sounds coming from? maybe I was wrong about the 4hi, maybe it is working but it sure didn't feel like it.

nope no cad. before I took it apart I crawed under there and had someone pull on the shifter to see if it was linkage problem but that seemed fine. I'm going to do that again, now that it's apart and see what's going on in there, I'm kinda at a lost. maybe the linkage just needs adjusted. I dont know.

ok well after taking apart my tc amd not seeing anything wrong(it's not nearly as complex as I thought it would be) the linkage it the problem, but it's still not working right. I had it in 4hi started to go down the street and everything seem fine, but then when I turned the corrner it pop out of 4hi and made gear grinding sound, if I hold the shifter it works great but if not it pops out. and now it won't go back into 2wd. lol I wish it would stay in at least 4hi so I could drive back and forth to work. any thoughts why it keep poping out of gear?

Adjust the linkage again. Loosen the linkage adjustment and put the transfer case in 4low, then adjust the shifter to match.

My transfer shifter (NP 242) has a lot of slop in it. When I first got it, it would not go into 4-lo. I adjusted the shifter where it would go into 4-lo, but then it would not shift into 2-hi.The shifter linkage seemed tight (no slop). I ground down part of the shifter mount to give it a little more room to travel. This helped but occasionally it still pops out of 4-lo if I get it in a bind on the trail.

My solution: I have not done this yet because of the weather, but I intend on lenghtening the shifter where the linkage connects. This will give it a longer arc and a longer throw. I think the cause of this is slop in the shift linkages inside the transfer case (wear on the shifting fork or something), it just doesn't have enough travel to reach both ends of the shift pattern.

Back