Tachometer / Speedometer questions?

60biscayne

I have a 1989 Wrangler that was a 4.2 Standard Trans which we've now installed a complete driveline from a 2004 Wrangler - 4.0 engine, Auto Trans & Transfer case. It took a million little things to acomplish this but thank God for my buddy Mike who's garage we did it at - because I could never have done it on my own.
Anyway here's my problem & how best can I resolve it:
The tachometer just bounces around & doesn't function at all basically & the speedometer doesn't work at all!
We installed a dash from a 93 or 94 Wrangler because the 89 speedometer worked via a cable & the new one is electronic & I don't remember what the deal was on the Tach but it didn't work either!
I've installed a Tom Tom system which lets me know how fast I'm driving but I'd still like to get the Tach & speedometer working right!
What can I do?
or What kind of a after-market Tach can I install to fix that portion of the problem?
Thanks,
Jim

I'm not sure how to go about the transplant of the new engine and trans.. I would assume that you also transplanted the PCM and all the nescessary wirings from the 04 TJ to your 89 YJ. The 04 TJ tachometer is an input to the PCM via PCI bus communications. The engine speed is calculated and processed by the PCM and sends that information to the instrument cluster. The 93-94 YJ does not have this technology for that type of communication so i dont think that those gauges will work. Your probbably better off with an Autometer speedo and tach.

The 93-94 YJ does not have this technology for that type of communication so i dont think that those gauges will work. Your probbably better off with an Autometer speedo and tach.

What he said. And while you're at it you might as well replace the rest of the gauges too so they'll all match. You can get Autometer gauges to fit a YJ for everything you could ever possibly need a gauge for at Quadratec.

Thanks guys you have given me something to look into!
I eliminated all the stock gauges & took a piece of redwood that I had laying around. I mounted all new white faced Sun mechanical gauges (Oil, Amp, Temp, Vacuum & Fuel) on the redwood & I'll tell ya - it looks Great!
I bet ya I could make these things up & sell them - HMMMMMMMMMMM
Price of the Gauges + my Labor -AHHHHHH The cost of the Redwood kills the plan!
Thanks again,
Jim

Back