Tcase exploded

Wrangl3r93

One of my good friends with a fairly stock cherokee was driving down the interstate the other day when his tcase exploded. He was in 2wd doing 70 mph I can't think of any reason for it to happen,his fluid levels were ok. Here's two pics to show the carnage maybe someone else can explain this:?

tcaseexploded1-1.jpg

tcaseexploded2-1.jpg

Are you sure his fluids were fine? Because one would think after a catastrophe like this, there would be fluid eeeeeeeeverywhere . . . unless he pressure washed it all off or soemthing for the pics. I don't see anything in there.

Looks like it was ran dry of fluid. The only other common failure is the CV joint on the front shaft going out and taking the transfer case with it, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Otherwise I'd have to inspect it closely to determine the cause.

I could rebuild it if he wants to ship it to me. Seriously.

We checked it last week and all the fluids were ok but it might have run dry. These pictures were taken 3 days after the accident after we towed it home don't know with 105+ weather everyday if the fluid would dry? With a little closer inspection we believe it somehow went into 4hi at 70mph you see the results. Thanks for the offer Bounty but one of our local club members works at a junkyard and we get replacement parts for cheaper than it'd cost to ship it.

even in 100+ degree heat, 90 weight oil will NOT dry up. it looks like it was ran dry due to some sort of leak. It appears that a spring clip or something failed and allowing the front drive gear to slip into contact with the main running gear at speed, either way some how it got shifted into 4 wheel hi (or low) because of the main damage is to the front and lower parts of the T-case, that was sheared downward by the front drive line. The rear drive line still appears to be attached to to the main shaft and that portion of the case is still attached to the transmission.

In either case a junk yard replacement is a good choice, I would still pull both diff covers and check the ring and pinion for any damage as checking all the u-joints and yokes for some sort of stress cracks. It would be also advisable that you drop the transmission and do a magna-flux inspection of the transmission housing or a red dye penetrate inspection. In that kind of breakage the forces are tremendous and cask iron and cast aluminum isn't that well known to like side shear forces.

Either way keep us informed

Talked to him earlier he said there was plenty of fluid it's the first chance he's had to use his fire extinguisher, that pic was taken after it had been towed back to his house. He got another 2wd cherokee not sure what his plans for that one are.

Back