Temp Gauge

LtFuzz

i think my temp gauge is loose becasue its bouncin all around and then sometimes it doesnt work....does anyone know the LOCATION that i should look in to check the connection? thanks

Capt Cox
USAF Aux

/what are you driven? If it is a 258 the sending unit is on the driver side of the block down under the manifolds about center of the side. If that makes any sence. tug

Mine is on the head, Port (driver's) side, all the way back by the firewall. It is brass 1/2" hex on top with 1 wire on a stainless threaded post.

When the temp goes up the resistance on the sensor goes down. To check the gauge have someone sit inside while you ground the sensor wire to the frame or body the gauge should go quickly to HOT, when it does stop grouinding before you fry the gauge.

If the needle is jumping, it sounds like a stray ground on the wire that occasionally touches the body. If you decide it's the sensor, I just replaced mine witn one from "Vintage Jeep parts" for a third of what Autozone was asking.http://www.vintagejeepparts.com/parts/Parts P06-1.asp

Back