Temp Sending Unit Extraction

dadare

Anybody ever extract a broken temperature sending unit from the head of a 258 without tearing the head off? Want to do everything possible to not have to tear the head down, but this is a tough one. Went to unscrew the sensor and lower unthreaded part decided to stay in the head. Thread extractor not working so far. Guess I can drill through it and rig up some kind of sheet metal screw on a handle and try pulling it up, but think it's locked too tight. Could also try to knock the remaining part in with a punch and flush the system but don't know how sucessful that would be. Anybody been down this road? Don't have the time or desire right now to tear the top end down.
[addsig]

Sorry, I am no help here, if possible, could you consult a service manual? perhaps this was an issue with a lot of sending units?[addsig]

If you are not wanting to go back to the stock sending unit on your jeep and would settle for one mounted under your dash(better I think than the jeep) you can go to autozone or one of those places and ppurchase one and do it that way, if your other sending unit is not leaking. Facing the motor there is a water jacket on the manifold kinda right beneath the carb where after you remove the plug you can install the new sending unit, run the wiring through the firewall and mount the gauge under your dash or wherever you want to. this worked well for me. I have a 82 cj7 that I could never get the stock gauge to work, even with a new sending unit made for the jeep. Hope this helps some. [addsig]

Tried everything as far as thread extractors but finally found a 1/4-20 plug tap fit the broken piece perfectly w/o drilling. Tap the remaining piece, hit the tap with a hammer to break it loose, and pulled out fine. [addsig]

I love happy endings! Welcom to the board and keep on posting! tug[addsig]

Back