the next big step (lift)

mark-xj00

Hey guys,

So I just ordered my skid plates and im very pleased with what I got. Now im looking into the lifting of the jeep.

Im a bit confused on the different systems out there and im hopping you guys can clear some things ups.

So here are the different choices that I have, if you have a better product or solution please let me know.

Originally I was looking at budget boost for about 140$ for 3” http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html
1-My first question is what would be the difference of a budget lift of 3” compared to lets say a regular lift of 3”. Do I get more clearance with the regular lift?

So then I started to look at regular lifts maybe a 3.5” I was thinking from Rubicon http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=185
2-What would be the difference between super ride and superflex??
3-And also once a regular lift is installed can I install a budget lift to get to like 5.5”
4-for my last question im trying to figure out what else do I have to think about when lifting my jeep to 3.5” , do I have to drop something or realign different pieces, I know once I pass the 4” I definitely need to convert almost everything but ill figure that out later (or maybe I can add the budget lift at the same time but then I would need bigger tires better gear ratio and my wallet cant really afford that right now)??

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read guys, I look forward to your advise
Sincerely,
Mark

for a cherokee, a budget lift would more than likely include spacers in the front, and then either an add-a-leaf or shackle lift for the rear. a full lift would be full coil springs up front, and full leaf packs in the rear.

yes, you could always add a budget lift to a regular one later by simply adding spacers to the coils and shackles or more leaf packs in the rear.

i would recommend doing a regular 3" lift (not a budget or add-a-leaf). check out www.rustysoffroad.com as they tend to have more selection and better prices than rock-road does (although i do like them as well for some things).

if you go much over 3" (either by buying a lift of whatever size or adding to a 3" lift down the road), you will have to make some fairly expensive and extensive modifications (bigger tires so your lift doesn't look retarded, re-gear, control arms, driveshaft, etc.).

just stick with a 3" lift and some 31" tires and i think you'll be more than happy.

you say past 3 you will have to change many things, even if its 3.5? i was reading anything over 4" would start causing problems.

would i have to to trim to fit the 31 on a 3" lift?

hey Mujaman i see yo have a 3" lift from rustys do you have a pic?
Also i know i should get the full leaf set in the back instead of AAL but money is a problem, is your AAL if so how much has lowered itslef since you got it.

thx for the info , BIG HELP

i will try to post a pic of my jeep later today if i can... i'll go take one since i don't have any real recent ones. i have some aftermarket flares on mine though which give more room (along with the 2-3" of trimming that was done), and i also only have 30" tires on it... so as you will see, i have a good bit of extra clearance.

you should be fine with a 3.5" lift... no major issues. you will at least need to lower your transfer case by 1/2" to 1", but this is easy and inexpensive. i would definitely agree that anything over 4" will require more modifications though. however, even with a 3" lift its possible that you will experience some problems if you don't make adjustments to compensate for the lift. my jeep did fine for almost a year with nothing other than the t-case drop, but then it began to develop the infamous "death wobble"... likely due to components wearing at an accelerated rate. now i have an adjustable tracbar, adjustable upper and lower control arms, a heavier duty steering stablizer, etc. hopefully you wouldn't have to do all that though.

31's will probably fit fine with the 3" lift, but you might experience some minor rubbing on full articulation or if you turn the steering wheel all the way in one direction (depending on what backspacing your wheels are).

DO NOT get AAL. you're only looking at an extra $150 to get full springs from rusty's. if you're really pressed for money, shop around and see if you can find something cheaper, or ask some other people on this board about other options (taking springs off other vehicles from the junkyard... for example).

good luck... you'll love your lifted jeep.

I've had both the superflex and superride. Super ride doesn't really have any flex to it at all, but it was a lil easier to install (on a 87XJ). The superflex def goes with it's name and give more flex. Only problem is it was a little bit less stable, had a few glitches putting it on a 95XJ, and I kept breaking pins that hold the quick disconnects in. But I loved the Superflex. I'd recommend getting the full leaf springs tho, it helps even out the lift. Good luck with everything.

I have some of the same questions. I do know that usually they recommend up to 32 inch tires with a 2" lift and 33 under a 3" lift. another possibility for the short term may be a body lift on top of a say a 2" or 3" lift. I have magazines and stuff but I still don't know which brands are better and where the best place to get them is at. I have read that wheel spacers will help with the tires rubbing in tight turns. I'd appreciate some help with this too. I have an '04 TJ. I have only had it for 2mos. oh yeah-what about shocks? are the ones in the kits ok or should you invest in other shocks? whew! that's alot of questions but I'm a newbie.

huskerdoc12 said:
I have some of the same questions. I do know that usually they recommend up to 32 inch tires with a 2" lift and 33 under a 3" lift. another possibility for the short term may be a body lift on top of a say a 2" or 3" lift. I have magazines and stuff but I still don't know which brands are better and where the best place to get them is at. I have read that wheel spacers will help with the tires rubbing in tight turns. I'd appreciate some help with this too. I have an '04 TJ. I have only had it for 2mos. oh yeah-what about shocks? are the ones in the kits ok or should you invest in other shocks? whew! that's alot of questions but I'm a newbie.

2" lift will barely clear 30" tires on an XJ. 3" will barely clear 31's.

Body lift?!?!? It's a unibody :-|

Answer to Mark's???'s:
1. 3" is 3".
2. Superflex uses heim joints in the control arms, and yeah, they're worth the extra $$$ if you have it. The standard kit will do the job though.
3. Yes, but at that height additional mods will be needed (SYE, CV Driveshaft, long arms or control arm drop brackets, etc) It is better to just get a 5.5 kit if that's the height you're shooting for. How do I know? I went that route with my XJ and it would have been more cost effective to just buy a 5-6" longarm kit.
4. Other than a transfer case lowering kit (I recommend Skyjackers for ease of installation), a RE kit should most everything else.

thx alot for the inpput guys. im defintely taking everyones opinion into my choice.

if i hade money to waist this would not be an issue and i would go with a 5.5 or 4.5" set with all the extra hardware fr alignement. But i dont have that kind of budget and i wll probably go off roading a good 2 years before wanting something bigger then 4".

So RE6030 3.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit is the best choice i beleive from rubicon.

does anybody know how much time it will take to install this lift. i dont have tools so i cant do it myself but im hopping to figure out how much the garage will charge me.

thx again for all the help guys.
Mark

p.s.(anybody from or near Montreal?

what about the lifts on a TJ? I know this may be the wrong forum for this, but this where I found the discussion.

huskerdoc12 said:
what about the lifts on a TJ? I know this may be the wrong forum for this, but this where I found the discussion.
Search the TJYJCJ forum. Whatever you cant find answers to, start a new thread asking and you'll get your answers.

mark-xj00 said:
So RE6030 3.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit is the best choice i beleive from rubicon.
Nice suspension.

As for labor hours, I am sure that will vary greatly from garage to garage. Tough to nail down a set time.

i just need a ball park number.
i figure its going to take at least 10hours even at a jeep garage and that means at least 400$ can it take up to 20hours cause that makes it 800$ and that a pretty big diffrence. I wish i hade the tools and the know how, i would attempt to do it right away.

Sincerly Mark.

thx for all the help and info guys.

Back