The OFFICIAL Random thread

Meth cooks set up camps like that away from anyone so the chemicals don't trigger police calls. Just wondering if thats how you were making a quick buck to get thru school.

No. I strip on the weekends. Quite lucrative really.

Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps.
Cross-eyed mosquitos, and bow-legged ants!
On this tuesday, a week from last Friday, there will be a womens meeting for men only.
Admission is free, pay at the door, pull up a chair, and sit on the floor.
I'll tell you something you've not heard before...

One fine day, in the middle of the night,
Two dead boys got up to fight!
Back to back, they faced each other.
Pulled their swords and shot one another!
A deaf policeman heard the noise.
Pulled his pistol and stabbed the boys!
Now they live on the corner, in the middle of the block.
In the upstairs of the downstairs of a vacant lot!
If you don't believe this lie is true,
Go ask the blind man, he saw it too...

There once was a duck named Jack
Who owned a 3 legged yak
Jack jumped on the back
Of his 3 legged yak
gave out a QUACK
and made the yak
run over the bunny named mack!

Did you ever see a hearse go by,
And think that you were next to die?
Thirteen men all dressed in black,
but only twelve are coming back.
They bury you 'bout six feet deep
And all goes well for 'bout a week -
Until the worms begin to creep......

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
The worms play pinochle on your scalp.
They turn your skin to a slimy green
And mix it up like mixing cream.
Spread that on a piece of bread
And that's what you eat when you are dead!

Just Think!
(more Robert Service)
Just think! some night the stars will gleam
Upon a cold gray stone,
And trace a name with silver beam,
And lo! 'twill be your own.
That night is speeding on to greet
Your epitaphic rhyme.
Your life is but a little beat
Within the heart of Time.
A little gain, a little pain,
A laugh lest you may moan;
A little blame, a little fame,
A star gleam on a stone.

LASSITER M.

The lights down on the strip
Are running away to dream.
On the wind, a mournful whisper
Is building up to a scream.
Feeble hands on the icy railing,
Eyes all cloudy and dim,
Lassiter waits for morning,
But nobody waits for him.

His mind is a vault of emotion,
Insecurity holds fast the latch.
Aside from the nominal daydreams,
Sleep is a dream he won't catch.
Locked out of doors on a Sunday,
Cold both in life and in limb,
Lassiter prays for deliverance,
But nobody prays for him.

High on a ridge in the Rockies
With a view that made his head swim,
Lassiter found all the answers,
But nobody ever found him.

--Eric J. Stites, 1987--

[sung to the tune of "My Bonny lies over the Ocean"]

My mother has tuberculosis.
My father has one rotten lung.
They cough up a bloody solution,
Dry it and sell it for gum.

Dentyne, Dentyne,
Oh what a wonderful gum, yum yum!
Dentyne, Dentyne,
Oh what a wonderful gum!

There once was a man named Brass,
Who lost his pet snake in the grass.
As he looked for his snake,
He stepped on a rake,
Stumbled, and fell on his asp!

For the past week or so, all of the lakes have been frozen over, so the bald eagles have moved into town along the river to fish. There have been a dozen or so hanging out behind the shop at work. Here's a couple of pics I took with the digital camera. I got a lot better pics with the 35mm that I still need to develop and get on disk, but these will give you an idea of what we've been priveleged to see. Eagles are a pretty rare occurence here in the flat state, at least in our part of it.

This was with full mechanical zoom:

Eagle1-1.jpg

I used a 135mm telephoto to shoot the same bird on my SLR, and got a bit more closeup with it. This one is with the 12x digital zoom, and really sucks, as far as clarity:

Eagle2-1.jpg

If my 35mm shots turn out, I'll post some of them up later.

For the past week or so, all of the lakes have been frozen over, so the bald eagles have moved into town along the river to fish. There have been a dozen or so hanging out behind the shop at work. Here's a couple of pics I took with the digital camera. I got a lot better pics with the 35mm that I still need to develop and get on disk, but these will give you an idea of what we've been priveleged to see. Eagles are a pretty rare occurence here in the flat state, at least in our part of it.

Eagle1-1.jpg

I used a 135mm telephoto to shoot the same bird on my SLR, and got a bit more closeup with it. This one is with the 12x digital zoom, and really sucks, as far as clarity:

Eagle2-1.jpg

Sparky that is AWESOME!

I hope you film shots come out also, I want to see one of them.

I've only been lucky enough twice in my life to see one in Colorado.
They are beautiful.

Eagle1-1.jpg

Eagle2-1.jpg

That IS awesome sparks. Post'em when you get them.

Aberdeen Proving Ground in Harford County, Md is the largest nesting ground on the East Coast for American Bald Eagles. I have spent a couple afternoons sightseeing near there and they are absolutely incredible animals.

A guy I used to work with was a big "nature" guy. We was working on Gibson Island in Anne Arundel County, MD one day and found a wounded bald eagle. It had a broken wing, possibly from being struck by a car. He wrapped it up in his shirt with the intent to drive it to a neaby fire hall where he had hoped they could get animal control to take over. Well this eagle dug it's talons in his leg as soon as he set it in his lap after getting into his bucket truck (luckily it didn't hit "da boyz" :shock: )

Long story short it ended up recovering and was on display at the Baltimore Zoo, and they had a plaque telling the story of a local phone man who rescued it.

Ha had to get stiches in his leg and had a pretty nasty scar from it.
Pretty cool, 'eh?

Aberdeen Proving Ground in Harford County, Md is the largest nesting ground on the East Coast for American Bald Eagles. I have spent a couple afternoons sightseeing near there and they are absolutely incredible animals.

A guy I used to work with was a big "nature" guy. We was working on Gibson Island in Anne Arundel County, MD one day and found a wounded bald eagle. It had a broken wing, possibly from being struck by a car. He wrapped it up in his shirt with the intent to drive it to a neaby fire hall where he had hoped they could get animal control to take over. Well this eagle dug it's talons in his leg as soon as he set it in his lap after getting into his bucket truck (luckily it didn't hit "da boyz" :shock: )

Long story short it ended up recovering and was on display at the Baltimore Zoo, and they had a plaque telling the story of a local phone man who rescued it.

Ha had to get stiches in his leg and had a pretty nasty scar from it.
Pretty cool, 'eh?

Yowza! There's a raptor center out by Cheney Lake that helps injured hawks, falcons, and eagles. I was talking to the guy out there one day and he showed me the scars on his shoulder from a bald eagle that decided to use him as a perch. Pretty nasty!

Prior to 2004, I'd only seen 2 or 3 bald eagles in the wild in my life. Then one day in February of 2004, Sunshine and I went to Cheney Lake and counted 8 of them! 5 adults and 3 juveniles. Did you know it takes 5 years before they get their white feathers on their heads? I didn't until back in 2004 when I talked with the raptor center guy.

Last winter we had one eagle that would fish from a tree behind the shop along the river, but I only saw him one day and didn't have my camera. This is the closest I've ever gotten to a bald eagle in the wild. I was probably within 50 yards of him at the time I shot the pic. Usually, you can't get within 200 yards of one without it flying off. Just to the left of that eagle in the first pic is another eagle, sitting in a different tree. I've got a picture of both of them in one shot, but it's hard to see the other one, he's behind a bunch of tree limbs. If it's slow at work again this week, I'm going to spend my lunch break shooting them to see if I can get a shot of one catching a fish. We pile all of our grass clippings in a huge mountain behind the shop to use as mulch and convert to topsoil. It's about 50' high x 30' wide x 150' long. I'm planning on sitting over on the north side near the top where I'll have a good view of the trees and the river.

Last edited:
Here's the other picture with both eagles in it. The first eagle is flying away on the right hand side, and right about the middle of the left hand side, you can see the white head of the 2nd eagle:

TwoEagles-1.jpg

Back